Author Topic: Over the comb metal  (Read 1074 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Over the comb metal
« on: October 01, 2022, 11:25:28 PM »
Hi Y'all, working on smr and experimenting with over the comb metal. What thickness/width is most used for these?
How do I secure to stock once I get to that part?
As always, I appreciate all help.
Best regards,Dave F 8) 8)

Offline LynnC

Re: Over the comb metal
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 03:58:25 AM »
Ive done exactly One about 15 years ago. I forged out a long tang breech plug i bought from Track leaving a screw boss just before the nose of comb. I drew it out to go up over the comb for about 3”. I kept it about 1/8” thick all the way to the rear. Perhaps it was 3/16” to 1/8” to the rear. Too long ago. It is plenty strong.

The only thing you have to remember is plenty of draft on the forward side of the screw boss as when you inlet it into the wrist it seems to creep farther and farther to the rear until it settles in flush with the wrist. A lesson in inletting I will not forget. The experts that have done several can probably give more and better advise.

The tang is fastened with wood screws. The barrel never comes out of the stock for cleaning.

I will always remember forging the tang. My grand daughters took turns cranking the forge blower 🙂
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:09:45 AM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 04:08:57 AM »
Sorry I missed the Width part. After the regular top flat width with screw I narrowed to about 1/4” then tapering to 1/8” at screw boss then 1/8” tapering to 1/16” at terminus 3” back on top of comb. Anyone doing these is to be commended. They are not easy. Good luck.

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »
There are several styles made. The one I make, I have made ? 15-16 of them over the years & prefer the long  tang that goes to the buttplate & lips under it, but appears to be all one piece.
I will tell you this is Not for the faint of heart. If ya screw up you can’t hide it & it’s a obvious as the nose on your face depending on the stock, 1/8”to 3/16”’wide & about 3/16” depth. 
My long tangs are made then welded to the tang.
Inlet the barrel & original shaped breechplug/ tang, then remove breechplug & add the extension. Next inlet the long tang, the put it all back together & put in stock.
Some cautions:
Once the Tang profile is shaped & inlet, you can’t easily rebend the long tang. You bend it, it grows in length & then won’t fit the inlet. And is dang near impossible to shrink in length.
It is extremely difficult to put in & out of the stock without bending, when all assembled with the barrel because of the total length. Tang will try to hang up & try to bend every time. If it goes in & out easily, you will have gaps in the inletting.  You should have to Carefully work it in & out. So it is very tedious. First one I did I did perfect.  2nd one took me 3 tangs as I kept bending it & then it would not fit. So I cut it off & made another new one.
Looking down on it from the top, the top metal is slightly wider than the bottom of it, thus a wide V shape, to help it fit down into the inlet with no gap & appear to grow into the comb.

I built this top rifle in 2009 & took it to CLA & was told by most they had not seen one before. 
I remember one builder really liked it & said he would have one in 2010. Sure enough he did & did a pretty good job. I also remember him telling me he would never never Ever build another as it took him 3 weeks just to do the @!*% tang 🤦🏻‍♂️🫣

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:44:36 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »
Hi Y'all, working on smr and experimenting with over the comb metal. What thickness/width is most used for these?
How do I secure to stock once I get to that part?
As always, I appreciate all help.
Best regards,Dave F 8) 8)

Are you talking about the tang or a half round triangular piece that covers the top of the comb?

Tim C.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 06:04:12 AM »
Now Tim has me doubting my understanding of the original question......Over the comb tang it the signature hallmark of the SMR.  Any other form of comb decoration I cannot speak to. I hope I/We didn't misunderstand.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 06:09:26 AM by LynnC »

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 02:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Keith has the one in question.
The other one seems like Davidson school, but I don't know.
At any rate I have got Keith's pattern mostly inlet, with a slight difference.
More later. Best regards Dave

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 02:49:14 PM »
I have made a couple of these over the comb tangs.   In the comb, I generally make them about 1/8" wide at the top, maybe a little more, and tapered on the sides.  They are higher than they are wide for strength.   I would say mine where the better part of 1/4" high, at least, at the comb termination.   The tangs would taper slightly to the heel extension.   I would notch the end and tuck it under the heel extension of the butt piece which also tends to be pretty long on those east TN guns.   In both cases,  I started with a long machined breech plug and tang and forged them out.   I left a wide area just before the comb for a screw.   These things are hard to forge, hard to inlet, and very hard to get out without bending/breaking something.   

I just looked at a picture of the last one of these I made and I had put a screw in the middle of the comb.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:53:17 PM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 03:22:38 PM »
I know it is not HC/PC, but the ones were folks make a "fake" long tang that just butts up to the back of the real tang would work fine for me.  Of course, that does not show off the amazing talent of the men who actually make the long ones.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 03:42:23 PM »
Marc that's exactly what I'm doing.
By the time I finish rifle it'll work for me.
I see no need to risk a lot of work on the rare occasion one would have to pull barrel.
All y'all comments are very welcome.
I have some arthritis and tinker a little.
Best regards to all. Dave

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 03:58:57 PM »
I own one from a very respected maker of Tennessee rifles and it's actually two piece. Almost impossible to see the seam but it's there if you look closely enough.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 05:14:30 PM »
I normally find out that I do things the hard way but,  I used Keith's method.  Two separate pieces that meet up perfectly seemed more difficult than inletting the tang,  welding on the extension and then inletting the entire package down.  One thing to be aware of is cast-off.  Take into consideration that the long tang will look wonky if doesn't follow the tang strait back.