Author Topic: Long rifle Builders Identification  (Read 1066 times)

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
Long rifle Builders Identification
« on: October 25, 2022, 01:59:06 AM »
Evening Folks,

I have an opportunity to buy an original long gun. Well a box of original long gun parts , but I'm told it is all there.  It is not in my possession and I only have the 3 photo's that I have attached.  Its location is several hours away and I wont have an opportunity to see or handle it for several weeks.    I have put the effort into finding a  T Phorthouse or T Jhorthouse without any luck.

Please see the attached photo's.   Is anyone familiar with this builder or the style of rifle.

Thanks in advance.
O.R.

Offline m. reaver

• Starting Member
Re: Long rifle Builders Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 02:08:52 AM »
O.R.

Do a web search for Henry Mauger, Berks County, PA and compare the pictures you find to the gun you're handling.

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 05:04:41 AM »
m.reaver,

Thank you  That's definitely his style and a great direction for researching.   I was concentrating on the name on the lock for a lead rather than the style of rifle.

Thanks
O.R.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 07:10:16 AM »
Unless he's selling it dirt cheap, I'd ask for more, and better quality pictures.
If you do buy it, you do realize putting it back together is going to be an adventure.

John
John Robbins

Offline Levy

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 08:25:06 AM »
My opinion is that it says T. Shorthouse on the lock.  I say that because the State of Florida (Museum of Florida History) has a lock (flintlock) in its collections that is signed T. Shorthouse.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 03:00:01 PM »
Worthy of professional restoration imho.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 06:03:26 PM »

A little glue, a little wood, she'll be good as new!
John
John Robbins

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 06:33:39 PM »
 Usually the signature on the lock has no connection  with the builder. In fact many locks were sold in general stores, and were often imported.

Hungry Horse

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 01:33:44 AM »
Unless he's selling it dirt cheap, I'd ask for more, and better quality pictures.
If you do buy it, you do realize putting it back together is going to be an adventure.

John

John,   

I agree with you on the photo's but my hands are tied as the old gentleman with the parts is challenged by technology.
He's my age <G>    My retirement hobby has been the adventure of turning a box of parts like this one back into a respectable looking long gun.  I've done 7-8 so far.  You are probably having visions of a wire wheel and spray paint but I'm slightly above that level.  My projects so far have been 1800's Belgian, Spanish and English smoothbores.   Sears catalog and General store blue collar guns.   My concern with this one is not to turn a $300 box of parts into a $50 wall hanger.

Thanks,
O.R.

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 01:36:37 AM »

A little glue, a little wood, she'll be good as new!
John

Don't forget Duct Tape <G>

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 01:44:26 AM »

Yes sir I agree completely.    I'm not sure I'm professional enough to do this one justice.   In reality I have no doubt that I have more projects on my shop rack than I have the time left to complete them.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 01:48:05 AM »
Old Rust,
On this forum I never doubt or question what members are capable of doing! I've done a few of these and enjoy the challenge as well.
If the seller is actually asking $300 bucks for the parts, I'd say buy them asap.  :)
John
John Robbins

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 01:54:16 AM »
Usually the signature on the lock has no connection  with the builder. In fact many locks were sold in general stores, and were often imported.

Hungry Horse

That's very True.

Thanks
O.R.

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2022, 02:16:14 AM »
My opinion is that it says T. Shorthouse on the lock.  I say that because the State of Florida (Museum of Florida History) has a lock (flintlock) in its collections that is signed T. Shorthouse.  James Levy

I couldn't wrap my head around that first letter in the surname and I can actually read cursive.   Appreciate the reference to the lock in the FL Museum.

Thanks
O.R.

Offline OldRust

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2022, 06:05:30 AM »
Old Rust,
On this forum I never doubt or question what members are capable of doing! I've done a few of these and enjoy the challenge as well.
If the seller is actually asking $300 bucks for the parts, I'd say buy them asap.  :)
John

Hi John,

I wouldn't question a persons capability myself and I never took your reply that way.  I actually mailed a check yesterday.     
 I'll post better pictures after I pick it up.

Thanks,
O.R.