Author Topic: Whaddyathink of this cool old gun?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Whaddyathink of this cool old gun?
« on: October 31, 2022, 01:40:57 AM »
https://www.proxibid.com/Guns-Military-Artifacts/Flintlocks/A-EARLY-CARVED-FLINTLOCK-KENTUCKY-RIFLE/lotInformation/72105968
I’ve seen it somewhere before. I’m not sure it’s American and would like to see a wood test. Look at the grain in the picture around the entry thimble.

Big smooth rifle; architecture reminds me of RCA 17.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Whaddyathink of this cool old gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 02:26:35 AM »
That was in one of Whisker's books (Early American something or other) and possibly in one of Harzler's books also, not sure.

I feel pretty positive it's Euro Walnut.  Sure looks like it.  Probably Euro gun that came here and got used. 

I have no idea what "Draft of..." is supposed to mean.  Is the thing chilly or breezy?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 03:27:33 AM »
That was in one of Whisker's books (Early American something or other) and possibly in one of Harzler's books also, not sure.

I feel pretty positive it's Euro Walnut.  Sure looks like it.  Probably Euro gun that came here and got used. 

I have no idea what "Draft of..." is supposed to mean.  Is the thing chilly or breezy?
Draft beer or ale, methinks. Lots of it led to the carving design.  ::)

I think we don’t get exposed to plain-ish, unsigned early European guns very often, predisposing us to think that such a gun must be colonial. Stocked in maple, it would make a nice colonial smooth rifle.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 04:57:05 AM »
This is not a mystery rifle, it is RCA 8 with restorations to the forend and a reconned lock.

I personally think that is a pretty desirable rifle.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 05:08:38 AM »
This is not a mystery rifle, it is RCA 8 with restorations to the forend and a reconned lock.

I personally think that is a pretty desirable rifle.

Ah yes that’s where I saw it. Agree it’s desirable but am a little surprised it’s listed as a Kentucky rifle. But, maybe there’s been enough auction house listing-bashing recently.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 02:07:19 PM »
Ah yes that’s where I saw it. Agree it’s desirable but am a little surprised it’s listed as a Kentucky rifle. But, maybe there’s been enough auction house listing-bashing recently.

Rich-- You are right! Why, I have not bashed any auction houses since last week!!!!! ;D

I believe that Morphy's description of this lot was pretty good in spite of the "Kentucky Rifle" label.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 08:23:51 PM »
Sold for $3969 fees included. Very affordable.
Andover, Vermont