Author Topic: Familair to many SMR ...now lives with us  (Read 998 times)

Offline Molly

Familair to many SMR ...now lives with us
« on: November 06, 2022, 09:10:58 PM »
This rifle has been out of the closet for a long time.  First observed on Aspen Shades website "on consignment".  Subsequently at the CLA show a few years back.  Changed hands there and about a year later that buyer offered it again.  Changed hands another time and made several appearances at shows including the KRA.  Once again offered at Front Royal.  The tobacco tag is a feature that make it easily recognizable but of course the features are super.  Note the tang extended all the way down the comb to the top of the butt plate.  Super nice condition with a deep plumb color.  Some period repairs on both sides of the breech but well done.   Attributed on Wm Lawing IV by a number of "experts".  58 inches overall, bbl of 42 inches and about a 36 cal.  Stock appears to have some figured maple but one might speculate that the "figure" (stripes) are faux.  Yes, or no it's a dandy rifle.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Familair to many SMR ...now lives with us
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 09:18:41 PM »
 What does that little plate on the side panel say? Looks like "Austin's" someting.

Thanks, Tim

Offline martin9

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 09:45:02 PM »
"Austin's natural leaf"

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 10:27:56 PM »
That is correct.  As I understand it tobacco companies/growers began using tags such as this to identify their "brand" from others.  From what I have seen they were first used in maybe the 1880's and continued to be used for many years.  I think the "Austin Tobacco Company" was a TN company of Green County, TN.  The tag was most likely added after the rifle was made and was not applied by the maker.  Green County is in Eastern TN and borders NC.  Was William a make in that area? 

https://www.greenevillesun.com/tobacco-warehouses-played-huge-role-in-local-economy/article_a7debf6e-29c1-11e6-8234-6bcb715de889.html

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 10:36:02 PM »
That is a sharp looking rifle.   Long tang on the butt plate.

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 10:45:50 PM »
Were those long tangs an effort to help strengthen the wrist of the gun? I noticed that is a feature sometimes.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 10:51:24 PM »
Were those long tangs an effort to help strengthen the wrist of the gun? I noticed that is a feature sometimes.

I’m sure it could help the strength some but, I’ve always heard the long over the comb tang was the gun maker showing off his skills.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 12:21:41 AM »
Molly, congratulations!!!! That’s one fine rifle..!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 01:15:55 AM »
Thank you Bob.  It's right at home with some other Lawing rifles...presuming it is a Lawing.

As to the tang going all the way down over the comb, I asked that question of some folks several years ago.  "Why did they do it that way?"

The response was immediate and unqualified.

"BECAUSE THEY COULD"   ;)

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 01:54:02 AM »
Owned that gun for many years. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Offline Molly

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 02:13:55 AM »
I think we will. Good to get to visit with you.
A good show.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 05:00:37 AM »
Thank you Bob.  It's right at home with some other Lawing rifles...presuming it is a Lawing.

As to the tang going all the way down over the comb, I asked that question of some folks several years ago.  "Why did they do it that way?"

The response was immediate and unqualified.

"BECAUSE THEY COULD"   ;)
And Molly they wanted to show everyone,”They Could”.
Again congrats. It’s a great gun..!
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 05:04:34 AM »
 ;) ;)... Congrats, Molly and Al,... glad you got her,...I have always assumed William as the builder of this rifle,... maybe made around same time as he made mine,....seems like he was experimenting with brass at that time,....regards,.... CCF

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 02:29:48 PM »
Strikingly similar.  Is yours signed?  Are you familiar with other examples of his work? Check PM's for a question.

Molly