Author Topic: Interesting Patchbox on Half-Stock  (Read 709 times)

Offline JBulitz

• Starting Member
Interesting Patchbox on Half-Stock
« on: November 18, 2022, 05:37:01 AM »
I recently acquired this largely intact rifle from an auction in Baldwin, Wisconsin.  I cleaned it up some and did some minor repairs, including replacing a few missing parts like the hammer screw.  It has a .44 caliber with a 31" barrel, straight and 1" across the flats.  No identifying markings unfortunately.
Although an otherwise plain run-of-the-mill halfstock, the patchbox stands out and makes me bold enough to ask if anyone has seen any like it.
In my little research, it somewhat resembles the work of W.M Wingert of Detroit- the hardware matches, and the cheekpiece architecture is very similar.  Being found in Wisconsin, Detroit would've been a likely place for a westward easterner to pick up a deer rifle.....
Anybody concur?  Thanks much in advance.

Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit... it's a motto, it says itself

Offline RAT

Re: Interesting Patchbox on Half-Stock
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 07:15:02 AM »
With the missing side plates, I would guess the patchbox was purchased from a supplier rather than hand made by the gunmaker.

I really... really... love the plain wood at the end of the fore stock combined with no entry pipe. I've never seen that before.
Bob

Offline JBulitz

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
It definitely has some unique details- I appreciate that one a lot as well!  I thought the same about the patchbox; I thought it could've even come off an earlier rifle and was "lying around" the maker's shop.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 08:24:46 PM »
Interesting that there's no nosecap either. What does the barrel rub terminus look like? I'm wondering if it terminated at the forestock like it would on a nosecap or if it's inletted into the wood at all.

Offline JBulitz

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 09:59:49 PM »
The rib actually extends into the stock part of the way to the entry hole, so the end of the forestock almost apears "forked" when looking down on the barrel channel with the barrel removed.  It was definitely made this way, because if a nosecap had ever existed and broken off, it would've noticably shortened the stock.  I can add a couple more photos when It's back on my bench.