Author Topic: Horace Kephart S Hawken and an unknown halfstock  (Read 1028 times)

Offline HighUintas

Horace Kephart S Hawken and an unknown halfstock
« on: November 24, 2022, 08:05:30 AM »
I visited the Missouri History Museum today and took a couple of pictures of rifles.

I apologize for the poor quality. I only had 20 minutes and my phone camera is very subpar.

The first is an S Hawken donated by Horace Kephart.

The second didn't have any information about it. But many aspects of the rifle seemed like it was probably a later Hawken local trade or target rifle. The bore looked on the smaller side. The finish looked like most of it had nearly turned black it was so dark. It is the top on in the photos.

Does anyone have any information on this one?

Bonus:
S Hawken Jr's fire hat

Offline Longknife

Re: Horace Kephart S Hawken and an unknown halfstock
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 05:29:20 PM »
If you will look a little closer top one picture, it has been converted to a breech loader. It works like a trapdoor. I have seen it there, but I don't know if it was a Hawken conversion or some other 'smith that did it.
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 08:22:45 PM »
Good spotting, Ed. something about the breech area didn't look quite right to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 04:09:52 AM »
Thanks, Longknife! I did see that and couldn't make out what it was. I forgot to mention that.

The stock had a "34" written on it like it may have been from the museum. I plan to call the museum to see if they have some information on it.