Author Topic: Tips and tricks for cherry  (Read 1973 times)

Offline hortonstn

Tips and tricks for cherry
« on: November 25, 2022, 05:25:11 AM »
Carving and staining (I've read everything in the search menu) anything new ?

Offline J Henry

Re: Tips and tricks for cherry
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 02:41:14 PM »
    Expose cheery to sunlight will cause it to darken

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 03:52:35 PM »
Is this done before sealing?

Offline Bart

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 05:53:38 PM »
You can use oven cleaner to darken and age cherry, this works really well an it is easy to do. It must be applied to the raw wood surface.

Bart

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 06:15:13 PM »
The sunlight exposure can be done after the finish is applied. The result is a more natural look than chemical aging. My son used a flourescent light for48 hrs to darken the cherrywood cradle he made. This particular lamp is sold for use in Reptile herbariums.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 06:45:46 PM »
You can use oven cleaner to darken and age cherry, this works really well an it is easy to do. It must be applied to the raw wood surface.

Bart

Some “safe” oven cleaners have no lye. So, it’s important to figure that out or be confused and disappointed.  Also it’s not just spray on and go. It’s a chemical reaction accelerated by heat, like most are.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:24:24 PM »
Potassium dichromate will accelerate the natural oxidation of cherry.  I've not tried it, but did purchase some with the intent of using it.  I've heard from some super cabinet makers that it's great stuff, but is kind of a nasty chemical.  I guess it also does great things to walnut.  If you do a little online research, you can find more information.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 08:27:18 PM »
I also recall reading that generally most of the darkening (oxidation) of cherry will occur within the first year.  Sometimes it just takes a little patience.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 10:30:22 PM »
Potassium dichromate will accelerate the natural oxidation of cherry.
It works well on both cherry and walnut, but can turn maple green.  It brings out the little swirls and whorls and other little tidbits hidden in the wood.  Douse the wood with a heavy coat and let it set overnite.  It will turn black.  Wet sand it with vinegar until you get the color you want.  Let it dry and buff with a coarse cloth.  This will fill some of the grain in walnut.

If you want that black aged look that many walnut, southern guns have, just leave it black and burnish it with a fine ScotchBrite pad.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 10:49:59 PM »
Potassium dichromate will accelerate the natural oxidation of cherry.
It works well on both cherry and walnut, but can turn maple green.  It brings out the little swirls and whorls and other little tidbits hidden in the wood.  Douse the wood with a heavy coat and let it set overnite.  It will turn black.  Wet sand it with vinegar until you get the color you want.  Let it dry and buff with a coarse cloth.  This will fill some of the grain in walnut.

Do you use the powder. the crystals or the already mixed Potassium dichromate?  I have a cherry Woodsrunner coming and may try using it Thanks. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline RichG

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 12:23:23 AM »
Just pick up some drain cleaner, 100% Lye, and mix a table spoon or two into a pint jar of water. Test on scraps of your stock until you get the darkness you want. Easy :)

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 12:37:03 AM »
Do you use the powder. the crystals or the already mixed Potassium dichromate?  I have a cherry Woodsrunner coming and may try using it Thanks.
I use the crystals that Dixie sold or used to sell.  I've got bottles mixed with water that are still viable after many years.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 03:28:41 AM »
I use lye (sodium hydroxide) to stain cherry and neutralize with white vinegar and ammonia.
I make soap so I buy 50 lb sacks of it.
Lye is very caustic, eye protection and latex gloves are a must.
A strong solution is 1Tbs. dissolved in a pint jar of distilled water. This will heat up as the ly dissolves. Add lye to water NEVER water to lye.
Both cherry, different boards and strength solutions.
Kevin

PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 04:17:00 AM »
I have a can of Red Devil lye and started with a weak solution and keep adding until I get the color I wanted. Before that I leeches lye out of oak/hickory wood ashes but never got the lye water strong enough to suite me. With the Red Devil lye you won't have that problem.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2022, 02:30:46 AM »
I use lye (sodium hydroxide) to stain cherry and neutralize with white vinegar and ammonia.
I make soap so I buy 50 lb sacks of it.
Lye is very caustic, eye protection and latex gloves are a must.
A strong solution is 1Tbs. dissolved in a pint jar of distilled water. This will heat up as the ly dissolves. Add lye to water NEVER water to lye.
Both cherry, different boards and strength solutions.
Kevin

Those are very nice. Is the only difference in the color of those two due to the wood and solution concentration? The contrast is surprising.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2022, 04:03:08 AM »
Stained over cherry is an awful waste of good wood.

A nice figured piece of cherry molested with fruit punch colored stain like some like to do is just nasty.

That’s a hill I’ll die on!

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 03:51:59 AM »
What finish shows the tru color? Tru oil,clear lacquer, I suppose the cherry will still darken

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 12:49:26 PM »
Cherry will keep darkening even if a UV retarding finish is used. The most beautiful cherry finish is acquired with time. Any of the aforementioned darkening agents will eventually turn the stock close to black. Cherry is very photoreactive, like Osage Orange.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline silky

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 12:48:46 AM »
I'm a big fan of cherry and like it best unstained, but when an immediate slight darkening is desired I use Easy-Off oven cleaner.  As Rich mentioned, not all oven cleaner has lye in it; the Easy-Off that comes in a yellow can does and the label says "DANGER: CORROSIVE. CONTAINS SODIUM HYDROXIDE (LYE)."

My technique is to spray some in a plastic dish then add water to make it ~10:1 ratio -- very diluted, allowing me to control the darkening with repeated wiped on applications.

Here's a pic showing the extremes of concentration.  The rifle is cherry hit with full-strength Easy-Off sprayed directly on the stock.  The picture frame is three wiped-on applications of the 10:1 diluted solution... darkened it just a bit without "disrespecting" the natural beauty of cherry. Both are finished with tung oil.

Hope this helps.

- Tom

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 12:53:18 AM by silky »

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2022, 02:33:49 AM »
After easy-off what do I do to stop the reaction?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2022, 04:43:08 AM »
With any lye treatment the wood is allowed to dry a few hours, then blushed with heat. At that point the reaction should be done and the lye exhausted. Some like to neutralize with vinegar. Some wash with water. Dry overnight or longer before adding sealer.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2022, 08:50:18 PM »
ATTENTION

POTASSIUM DICHROMATE IS HIGHLY  CANCEROGENIC !

Do avoid contact with skin and do not inhalate. So think of wearing  at least chemical resistant gloves, a FFP2 mask, (best would be a ABC protection equipment)

;)  ;)

and try to remove ALL oft the dicromate from the stock.