Author Topic: sharpening  (Read 3967 times)

Offline mountainman

sharpening
« on: August 13, 2008, 04:59:24 AM »
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to sharpen a onglette, or a knife graver? the main purpose would be to sign my name on the barrel. Any ideas would certainly help! THANKS. ???

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: sharpening
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 06:40:11 AM »
First of all, an onglette is not the graver you want to use to sign your name.
It will cut a very thin straight line, and give no definition to your cuts.

The simplest, especially for the least experienced,  a 51 or 52 round graver.  If you have some experience, either a 120g square, or maybe any other square graver.

As far as sharpening, sharpen the face, then relieve the heel about 15deg, 

Hope that helps.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 05:52:39 PM »
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to sharpen a onglette, or a knife graver? the main purpose would be to sign my name on the barrel. Any ideas would certainly help! THANKS. ???

Use a square graver with a short heel.
If you go to http://smartflix.com/store/video/457/Engraving
And rent watch the McKenzie videos it will greatly simplify your graver "needs"  and shows a simple way the sharpen them.
I use a longer heel on a square than he does for deeper engraving.
You can do almost anything needed on a Kentucky Rifle with a square graver.
But I am certainly no expert. But I know a guy who is.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 10:54:44 PM »

Use a square graver with a short heel.
If you go to http://smartflix.com/store/video/457/Engraving
And rent watch the McKenzie videos it will greatly simplify your graver "needs"  and shows a simple way the sharpen them.
I use a longer heel on a square than he does for deeper engraving.
You can do almost anything needed on a Kentucky Rifle with a square graver.
But I am certainly no expert. But I know a guy who is.

Dan

Better buy the basic engraving DVD, 'cause you are gonna wait a looooonnnnggg time to get one through SmartFlix. I have been on the waiting list since the end of May, and as of Tuesday, there are still six people ahead of me.

Brownells has 'em, but they ain't cheap. IMHO, if you are going to rent the basic engraving DVD for more than a coupla weeks, you would be better off buying a copy...And you probably will keep it for several weeks.  Personally, I hope to pick up a copy, and hopefully get a few pointers, at the CLA show.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=103&title=#APL%20105%20-%20BEGINNING%20ENGRAVING%20WITH%20LYNTON%20MCKENZIE

I do recommend Sam Alfano's expert sharpening DVD. He does use the GRS sharpening system, but
I did learn allot about different gravers, how and at what angles they are sharpened for best effect, and some of the uses of several gravers, including how to sharpen the script/brightcut graver Dan recommends for signing your work. Alfano does a good demonstration at the end of the DVD, including script engraving.

I also rented Jack Brooks basic engraving. It is real basic, but there is enough information to get you started, barring the availability of the McKenzie DVD.
Good luck,
J.D.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:25:37 PM by J.D. »