Author Topic: Gifted some 2F  (Read 1023 times)

Offline GrizG

Gifted some 2F
« on: November 30, 2022, 05:14:22 AM »
A guy in my club gave me a lb. of GOEX 2F this evening... Dated June 6, 1978.  The can looks okay... no rust on the exterior and the paint looks good. For the life of me I don't remember if GOEX had a seal under the cap back then... This can had none but appears to be full.

Anyone have experience with "old" powder? If so, anything to check for?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Gifted some 2F
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 05:22:03 AM »
I had some from 1978 that shot just like new.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 06:17:32 AM »
I had some in a horn for about 12-15 years that shot to the same point of impact.

Online MJBush

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 09:47:11 AM »
I have been shooting a can from about the same time, it is great. Wished I had more.
Michael

Offline steven baker

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »
Just try it, take care Steven.

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
Recently I received almost a full pound of GOEX 2F through an unfortunate circumstance. My wife's best friends husband passed away. The can was in a cheap metal gun safe that sat on a porch for a long time and was rusted thru in one small spot. the powder looked ok, clumped together a little.
I spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in a 300 degree preheated oven, after it was shut off. Then into a new container with some dessiccant packs. Changed the packs a couple times over 2 weeks.

It seems to be fine. Loads and shoots to point of aim in a couple rifles I have. BP is pretty durable stuff if not submerged in water. With the current lack of powder available it was nice to have some more.

Don

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
Black powder, or charcoal, sulphur and potassium nitrate (Saltpeter)....These items will not degrade with time. They can draw moisture and if so just dry them out and the powder will be good. I wouldn't recommend in your wife's oven though!. A sunny afternoon on the patio spread on a piece of cardboard would work fine. They are made wet, dried and then ground to the proper size,,,LK
Ed Hamberg

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 08:28:56 PM »
I have a few cans still and they shoot well.  I remember reading an account (don't remember where) of some trappers spreading out their powder to dry after a difficult river crossing.  Their options were more limited than ours.

Offline GrizG

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 08:55:26 PM »
While putting the gifted 2F powder in my metal cabinet containing smokeless, black powder, pellets, caps, and primers I rooted around. I found a can of GOEX 3F dated May 22, 1978! A month or so ago my father came across a 5 gallon bucket of polished once-fired brass in his garage. Mind you, I haven't lived there in many decades. It contained calibers that are pretty much impossible to find around here these days (e.g., 300 Savage, 8 MM Mauser) that I shared with my sporting associates. Apparently my shooting supply inventory management system never worked...

The gun safe helped with inventory control of the guns themselves... I recently gave my son some "modern" guns to make room for more muzzle loaders. The latest safe resident is the long rifle I started while working at Williamsburg under Jon Laubach's guidance. Between my leaving Williamsburg, living in another state, family, jobs, and events in Jon's life, the project languished. Jon's untimely passing stalled it completely.  I had lunch with George Suiter around Christmas 2019 and he agreed to help me get the project done. Lot's of great memories attached to this Isaac Haines inspired rifle. I've been deer hunting with it and have until about New Years to get the job done. Then I'll get on to the task of using up the 44 year old powder... and then the "new" powder I have.

Digging out my other muzzle loaders and books (Shumway 1&2, Brown's Firearms in Colonial America, etc.) revealed how much I've forgotten!  It was also nice to speak with Chris Laubach about his lock project shortly after Jon's passing. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to work with George, Jon, Gary Brumfield and Dave Wagner... Wallace was a visitor to the shop during that time frame. Terrific guys..  I've very much enjoyed reading the forums here as the academic environment I experienced at Williamsburg is also alive and well here.

P.S., I never found an application for hand filed woodscrews after leaving the shop.  ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 09:42:44 PM »
I've never tried any powder that was from 1978, but the American Deadshot 2FG from 1898 was good powder, the best I've ever used.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 10:32:08 PM »
 I got given a keg of Giant Powder Works powder with about five pounds in it. That plant blew up sometime before 1912. I wish somebody would gift me another, it was good stuff.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 11:54:55 PM »
In 1898, the Deadshot Powder mill blew up, so the 'keg' I got was from that year or previous.
The granulations were hard, shiny and sharp when pointed. It was a wonderful powder in my bullet firing cap-lock.
The American Deadshot brand was listed as being second best compared to C&H #6 IIRC from the data sheet I read.
I have shot GOEX from 1978, but back in 1978/9. Back then, I also shot Meteor from Scotland and C&H from England I think.
Seems to me, the GOEX back then was inferior to other powders, but maybe they all sucked.
Daryl

Offline GrizG

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 01:03:36 AM »
In 1898, the Deadshot Powder mill blew up, so the 'keg' I got was from that year or previous.
The granulations were hard, shiny and sharp when pointed. It was a wonderful powder in my bullet firing cap-lock.
The American Deadshot brand was listed as being second best compared to C&H #6 IIRC from the data sheet I read.
I have shot GOEX from 1978, but back in 1978/9. Back then, I also shot Meteor from Scotland and C&H from England I think.
Seems to me, the GOEX back then was inferior to other powders, but maybe they all sucked.
GOEX was all I could find in the '70s and '80s. I used to buy it at Numrich Arms's retail store in West Hurley. As such it was great from my perspective!  ;)

Having Numrich nearby was a curse and a blessing... things there followed me home. I was there on the very last day the big retail store was open. I believe they ultimately closed the parts desk and you can only order on-line now.  Among other things, they manufactured the Hopkins & Allen black powder guns at that site.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 01:39:21 AM »
Yeah - back in the 70's I had an underhammer .58 H&A. Good shooting rifle, but it wanted to be fed lots of powder.
Now and then, we also got Dupont black powder, but there was more Curtis and Harvey's than anything. We used
to call it Heartless and Scurveys.(I don't know why  ;D)
Daryl