Author Topic: Hammer stall  (Read 1320 times)

Offline BJH

Hammer stall
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:42:15 AM »
I need to make a hammer stall for a Kibler colonial lock. As I don’t have one here is the Chambers large Virginia frizzen similar enough to use as a pattern? BJH
BJH

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Hammer stall
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 03:29:38 AM »
Cut a finger off a leather work glove.  There's you stall.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 02:48:25 PM »
Trace the face of your frizzen.  Then hold the paper firm against the back and trace that.  Add 1/4 inch to both tracings.
Then look down at what you have done, and what you have to do to stitch it and finish it after cutting it out and making sure you add a little tab for the thong because you can lose this thing in the living room let alone the woods..
Then go search and read some ..."Every Man A Cobbler"... by one of the crackpots on this forum.
Then re-read the post above mine by D.Taylor, a total madcap.
Flip a coin...

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 07:58:22 PM »
I think its the same frizzen but the two previous replys are spot on. When you cut the finger off leave one side long enuf for that thong tab.  ;)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 02:50:27 AM »
I've never used a frizzen stall.  Sometimes, when I return from an outing and haven't fired my rifle, I just leave it loaded.  But I put a couple layers of masking or duct tape over the face of the frizzen to remind me that the rifle has a load in it. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2022, 08:36:00 PM »
They are very simple devices.  I made them for all my flintlocks using scrap leather.  They don't need to fit like a glove on the frizzen, they just need to fit.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 07:06:25 PM »
I make mine with two different types of leather.
Having heard of a few instances of flints cutting through thin or soft leather and sparking the frizzen, I made a change.
I use a relatively thin, but tough hard veg tan cow leather for the "face" or the part between frizzen and flint, cut to the same shape and slightly larger than the frizzen face, enough larger for the stitching. Then I use a soft leather like buckskin, either real or Tandy style, for the other side as this is stretchy. This is cut to the same size and shape as the other but some extra is left at the bottom to poke a hole in and attach a thong. Once stitched together the flint won't cut the veg tan and the buckskin will stretch over the thickness and shape of the back of the frizzen. I'll also work some mink or neatsfoot oil into that back piece to help repel moisture while hunting and to help it stretch over the thickness of the frizzen.
Seems like a lot for a simple device, but, less complex to do than to write,,wrote,,, and if one has a nice gun,,, why hang scrap junk on it?