Author Topic: Mark O'N-80 on buttplate of long rifle  (Read 1059 times)

Offline MikeInOregon

• Starting Member
Mark O'N-80 on buttplate of long rifle
« on: December 08, 2022, 11:31:08 PM »
O'N 80 is stamped on buttplate of a flintlock long rifle signed A.J. Jones on barrel. I presume this is Andrew Jackson Jones of Augusta, Kentucky, ca.1840.
While trying to determine the meaning of the O'N 80 mark, I found a photo of O'N 78 on the buttplate of a U.S. Mod 1855 Harpers Ferry rifle. The size and typeface of both seem identical. Because of the variety of rifles, I think this mark might be the property mark of a collector, a museum, or a dealer. Have you seen such a mark? Any suggestions?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Mark O'N-80 on buttplate of long rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 03:57:38 AM »
My guess, yes guess, would be a military buttplate , reused when this ne was built.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 06:05:50 AM »
Would you mind posting photos of your rifle, front and back showing full butt out to about 10" past lock plate area? I have only seen a couple of A. J. Jones rifles and illustrated one in "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900,"all have been percussion guns. He may have made a flintlock in the very first years of his career, which started about 1836. It would be great to see an early flint gun by him. There was also an A. S. Jones whose script signature can be confused with A. J. Jones at times. I'd greatly appreciate seeing the rifle you have. I've never seen any type stamping on the butt plates on the couple A. J. Jones rifles I've examined... which seems to suggest, if nothing else is abnormal on the gun, that it was a pre- or post-existing stamp. Thanks for mentioning this gun,

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:55:59 PM by Tanselman »

Offline JBJ

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2022, 04:32:43 PM »
I also suspect that this is repurposed military butt plate. The stampings are extremely uniform - depth and spacing - and would imply that the stamping was done with the use of a jig and/or press. Certainly not the typical results of hand stamping with individual letters and numerals. Just a thought.

J.B.

Offline MikeInOregon

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 01:22:53 AM »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 05:47:33 AM »
For someone who studies early Kentucky [state] guns, you have a fascinating rifle. The signature is great, and the earliest one I've seen. The side plate is also correct, but longer than any I've seen, again suggesting an early Jones rifle. It also has a little straighter stock architecture, expected of an earlier rifle by Jones. I have never seen that style front "hair" trigger on any KY gun, with the adjustment screw forward of the front trigger in the Virginia Sheets gunsmiths' style. It looks good, but very unexpected on an Ohio River gun from the southern shore.

The lock itself looks good, but its size is larger than most locks used on Kentucky guns. Jones worked close to the Sells, Michael of Augusta in Bracken County and Benjamin [trained by Michael] just across the river in Brown County, Ohio, and their guns share some similarities with Jones' work. Most guns from that era and area leave more wood in the side facing in front of, and behind, the lock. While the lock may well be original to the gun, I would want to take a closer look at the front side facing itself, and inside the open lock mortise, before I would be comfortable accepting the lock as original to the gun. This slight uneasiness with the larger lock size and being flint in this era, is tweaked by seeing signs of prior expert restoration on the gun [above front nose of lock] and recoloring. It would be neat to really handle this rifle and understand it better, because, regardless of my comments, it's the earliest A. J. Jones rifle that I have seen, has the best stock lines [expected of an earlier gun], and is a great looking Kentucky gun. Thank you for posting the pictures.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 06:00:49 AM by Tanselman »

Online Niall

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »
The lock on this gun was made in Ireland by Rigby of Dublin..He made arms of all sorts including private purchases for military officers and constabulary arms, etc.This lock has a functional military appearance and is likely for an arm of this type. They seem to have produced a lot of commercial military carbines and these are frequently encountered...This lock is possibly for one of those ;

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a-scarce-irish-constabulary-flintlock-carbine-by--437-c-3784fb2a54     

and another example   

Or possibly a pistol, depending on the size;

The O'N looks like an abbreviation of O'Neill.....possibly another Irish connection....but the buttplate  is not from a Rigby gun...???

The lock could be repurposed, but maybe was bought as surplus .Do these Rigby locks appear in the US on American made longarms ? That would be interesting.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 01:23:33 PM by Niall »