Author Topic: Thoughts on a lock and Rigby rifle  (Read 2299 times)

Offline snapper

Thoughts on a lock and Rigby rifle
« on: January 01, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »
I recently purchased a Rigby long range ML.   I beleive it is a 1900's built rifle.

The below is a picture of the inside of the lock.   No markings on the inside.   Rigby markings on the outside of the plate.

What are your thoughts on the lock?  Commercial made lock?   Custom lock?   

The lock breaks crisply with no creep at 3 lbs.

Thanks

Fleener

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:21:44 AM by snapper »
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Thoughts on a lock
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 08:46:27 PM »
Looks high end custom. The forged sear spring is something not often found on commercial locks until recently some are cast. This looks all machined and forged to me. Looks splendid. I bet the action is nice and crisp.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 09:29:12 PM »
The mainspring may be from an older English lock but the rest IMHO is Don Brown from the late 90's or early 2000's.Can you show the whole rifle ?? Not high end work but still usable.
Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 01:54:50 AM »
There were a couple of European companies that made Rigby replicas back in the 90's.  Ardesa was one and I don't remember the other.  They were fairly high end rifles.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snapper

Re: Thoughts on a lock Rigby rifle
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 01:55:14 AM »
Here are more pictures.    A couple of the pictures has my Creedmoor Rigby which is the fancy one next to the one I just got.

The one I just got I am thinking that it could have been made in the 1900's, hence my question on the lock.

I sent the serial number to Rigby to see what they have in their records.

Any thoughts are welcomed.

Fleener

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2023, 01:59:39 AM »
The barrel markings on the bottom shows the Rigby touch mark.   The barrel flats are exactly the same as my other one.

No indications of it being anything other than a Rigby.

Not a 100% sure of what I have.

I know that for the right price, Rigby will build you a rifle like this now.  At least 10 years or so ago they would.   I think I talked to them about that and I cant remember the price.   It was very prohibitive for price I remember that.

Fleener

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 02:04:15 AM »
That jogs my memory a bit.  I recall a trade mark war where an
American company started building Rigby marked rifles.  There was a law suit and the original Rigby company ended up winning.  There are details about it somewhere on a website that explains it all.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 02:19:08 AM »
I just took a look at the lawsuit.   John Rigby and Company name appears to be what was at issue.   Could not see that the other company used their touch mark.   At least I could not find it mentioned in the lawsuit.

Both barrels have the same touch mark.

Anyone have an idea on the P P Markings on the barrel?   Both barrels have that.

thanks

Fleener

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Thoughts on a lock and Rigby rifle
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 03:39:36 AM »
The tumbler of the lock shown IS sub par and the short arm and short link indicate to me it's a replacement or it may well be an Ardessa. I had not thought of that one for years.Take the lock off the Rigby you know is OK and compare them.The Brazier and Stanton locks made in England are the standards to judge everything else by including mine or any others,
Bob Roller

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 03:54:17 AM »
I dont think comparing the two locks will tell me much.   I think the other is a Stanton.   If this one is a 1900's rifle, then those old high end lock makers were no longer around.

Fleener

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2023, 04:05:07 PM »
Photograph them  together and let's have a look t them.Get as close as possible.
Bob Roller

Offline snapper

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2023, 05:23:19 PM »
Here are the locks side by side.

The one lock from 1864 is marked J.S., assumed to be Joseph Stanton.  The other lock I believe is from an era that is after the percussion period into the cartridge era and I am assuming companies like Stanton were no longer making locks.

The pictures are full cock, half cock and not relaxed.

Fleener

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2023, 05:54:46 PM »
The reason I think this is a newer rifle is the condition.   The lock is not from the masters of the 1800's, and the proof marking on the plug was used from 1904 to 1954.

I do not think that the lock is from Don Brown.

Fleener

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2023, 06:43:48 PM »
BIG difference.The tumbler* can well be Don Brown and his locks came from Davis at least for a time.
He did not like mine because I wouldn't cut the price and he got really vexed when I told him ghat
these types of guns are NOT for a distressed market and not a low end one.
I was on another forum that went away that originated in England and the host/moderator told me that
high quality locks were still available from shops in Wolverhampton at about $4000 a pair for the 4 pin
types and that included the hammers.That's mighty nice of them ;D.
Bob Roller
"The Davis Hawken lock used this tumbler as well and their Henry lock needed only a bridle to give
the impression of an English lock.

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 07:27:21 PM »
Nice rifles thanks for posting !
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Urban_Redneck

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2023, 11:41:47 PM »
I dont think comparing the two locks will tell me much.   I think the other is a Stanton.   If this one is a 1900's rifle, then those old high end lock makers were no longer around.

Fleener

Stanton made locks into the 20th century, I have a 1902 (hammerless) shotgun that carries a pair.

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 10:37:48 PM »
Snapper, may I ask where you bought the rifle. To my humble opinion the rifle is a reproduction made by a French guy called Texeido.
I had one of his rifles before, also a Rigby

url n

Offline snapper

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 03:13:17 AM »
I purchased it on auction.

While it might not be an original, it does not look any like the rifle you posted.   Checkering, engraving and breech plug are not even close to each other.

Fleener