Author Topic: My Williamsburg- couple new pictures  (Read 12400 times)

TXEBONY

My Williamsburg- couple new pictures
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:03:16 AM »
I'd like to leave my boys as much info as possible on this rifle when it's my turn to pass it down.  Only info I have is that it was purchased in Williamsburg for $700 by my Father.  I've had it in my possession since 2004 and recently have had a wild hair about it.  Spent the last few days surfing and reading to no avail.  I'm glad you guys are here.  Hope the pics come up it was a screwy ordeal with the attachment button.  Rifle signed, E. Thomas Wmsbg VA.  If some of you would chime in from a collector's standpoint as far as care products, methods, and storage I would greatly appreciate it.

---Carl  

11-19-09  A very special Thanks to Gary Brumfield. "Flintriflesmith" for his wealth of knowledge and all the personal correspondence concerning the rifle and it's history.    

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:10:37 AM by TXEBONY »

Offline RobertS

Re: My Williamsburg? ID help please
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »
That's a real beauty, and I think your dad got a great bargain.  You certainly came to the right place to find out about it.  Gary Brumfield, flintriflesmith, should be able to fill in details, as he was a Colonail Williamsburg gunsmith for several years.  His website is www.flintriflesmith.com .  There are many knowledgable people around here, I am just not one of them (yet), but I'm working on it.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:37:50 AM »
And who says fate doesn't have a sense of irony? Just last week I sent the email below out to a lot of folks on my contacts list and then today, after all these years, a picture of one of Ed's rifles turns up here on the list.
Gary

Friends,
I assume that a lot of you have heard this news. Ed Thomas died last weekend. I heard he had a stroke while working on his land in TN — land he loved.
Many of you knew Ed from his involvement with the study of longrifles, Tennessee history, and his support of local KRA and CLA shows in TN, KY , & VA. He also worked for a time in the late 1960s at the Colonial Williamsburg Gunsmith Shop.
He will be missed.
Gary

From the Knoxville News Sentinel:
Edwin Cary Thomas

THOMAS, EDWIN CARY - age 72, of Sevier County, TN, died Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009, at UT Hospital. Born Jan. 31, 1937; only child of the late Edwin Llewellyn Thomas, Jr. and Eleanor Spence Thomas of Knoxville and grandson, of General Cary Fletcher Spence and Edwin Llewellyn Thomas. Ed attended West High School and UT Knoxville, and pursued his great passion for history throughout his lifetime; also his love of the Smoky Mountains, music, sports cars, reading, and his wonderful dogs and horses. Most of all, he loved sharing these with friends and family. Ed is survived by his wife, Carol Knapp Thomas; and cousins: Fletcher Spence of Knoxville, Hannah Parten of Loudon, Shirley Davenport of Knoxville, Ran Hooper of Newport, Margaret Caraway of Missoula, MT, John Caraway of Salem, OR, Susan S. Herbert, Beverly Hamilton of Jacksonville, FL, Isabella Thomas-Heinsohn of Huntsville, AL, Margaret Hatcher of Conroe, TX, Edwin L. Thomas of Hesperia, CA; as well as their many children and grandchildren, and many very dear friends, who were family to him as well. Funeral service will be 2:00 P.M. Friday at Rose Mortuary Mann Heritage Chapel with the Reverend Chris Buice officiating. Interment will follow at Highland Memorial Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Foothills Land Conservancy, Old Gray Cemetery, or the Museum or Library of your choice. The family will receive friends 6-8:00 P.M. Thursday at Rose Mortuary Mann Heritage Chapel.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:38:53 AM by flintriflesmith »
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

TXEBONY

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:12:02 AM »
The first thing I did this morning was search for E Thomas on this site.  It brought up an OTF post by Blackpowder Barbie to which I replied concerning the passing of Mr. Thomas'.  I've been to your site several times this past week Gary, what a small world we live in. and thank you for the quick confirmation.  I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that 11 days ago I could have spoken with him.   

TXEBONY

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 07:41:06 PM »
......and recently have had a wild hair about it.
......brought up an OTF post by Blackpowder Barbie
....THOMAS, EDWIN CARY - age 72, of Sevier County, TN, died Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009
...11 days ago I could have spoken with him.   

I spent last night reading obits and messages from Ed's Family/Friends along with these words that meld into a message to you and to anyone who's ever had a doubt.

The Lord surely works in mysterious ways.

Thank You Gary, Robert, and Art. 

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »
The handmade lock would be worth more today than the entire cost of the rifle back then by a wide margin. A beautifull piece.

TXEBONY

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:27:03 PM »
Thanks Shipman, she's really a work of art.  A quick story from 2001-2, a couple years before my Dad passed.  Living by himself my Dad heard a crash at the front door of his small condo one late night.  Believing it was me, he called with no answer and then yelled at whom ever it was making the racket.   He grabbed his .38 from a bedside drawer and made his way to the livingroom to find someone had broken in and stolen his VCR from atop his television.   Guess what was hanging in display above the TV?

The value of this rifle doesn't reflect to me in dollars, but in knowing who's built, handled, and cared for it.  I'm hoping Mr. Gusler and Brumfield will be able to tell me more.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »
The handmade lock would be worth more today than the entire cost of the rifle back then by a wide margin. A beautifull piece.

This rifle doesn't have a hand made lock or barrel. The lock is a Russ Hamm "P. Gonter" and the barrel is probably a Bill Large.

The all hand made guns began to be offered after the Gunsmith of Williamsburg movie came out and they (with one exception) started at $4000 even back then.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

TXEBONY

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »
Just ordered the Gunsmith of Williamsburg dvd.  Mr. Brumsfield has e-mailed what the shop record of the rifle states which puts this rifle at .50cal and a 43 inch barrel. Purchased by my Father Oct. of '68.  Not sure if the title is misleading or there are just a lot of curious lookers, but please feel free to comment.  Also new to me, the powder horn and mould that hang out with this rifle came with it.   Cheers!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
Gary, you're right. I haven't seen one of these locks for a long time. Still a beautifull piece.

TXEBONY

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
Apparently this is the only rifle Mr. Thomas made at the shop.  He also made a pistol.  Would anybody happen to have pics of his other work?  I read he was really talented with Scottish relics. Thanks.  Still looking for the best care and storage methods. There's a lot of information out there, I just want to use the correct one. The wood stock is my most pressing concern as it seems to be darker than maybe it should be.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
If you are not going to shoot the gun, make sure there is a light coat of oil on the metal parts.  Doesn't need to be petroleum based.  As far as the stock, there are a number of gunstock waxes that will work fine.  I have even used shoe polish on mine.  I've also used a mixture of beeswax and tallow to wipe the whole gun down which is pretty period correct but then I'm not taking care of an hierloom worth several thousand dollars.  You have a great rifle,  I think you and your sons should shoot it.  As long as it is properly cleaned it won't hurt the gun.  By the way thank you for sharing pictures of your rifle. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 06:26:48 PM by Tommy Bruce »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 03:51:23 AM »

http://www.kramerize.com/Introduction.htm
Kramer's Antique improver is great to clean it up and feed the wood. :)  Renaissance wax from WoodCraft or elsewhere is good to keep it that way and you can put in on the external metal as well. I suggest you swab the barrel with Ballistol every few months. If you are not shooting it, you can use Ballistol on the lock as well. If you are going to shoot it put some AcraLube from Jim Chambers on the lock.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

TXEBONY

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 04:25:14 PM »
My eldest is two, however we're Texan, so he should be able to shoot next year or so.  ;)  Thanks Doc and Tommy for the care advice.  I'll be needing some flint and saw some good argument on the ff,fff,ffff so we'll see.   I'll repost some pictures that do this rifle some justice.  I own a lot of firearms, but this one is in another league to me.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 12:32:22 AM »
To clean the stock I use a wax remover this will remove the grime  and thats all that should be removed ,it will lighten up the stock but  retaining the patina,apply this using fine steel wool and LIGHTLY rub with grain, put to one side to dry then apply Three drops of stock oil thats all it takes and rub it into the stock repeat this every day if too much builds up burlap it off and start again a good oil finish takes months to achieve.
Feltwad

Madcaster

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 06:25:35 AM »
 Very nice rifle Sir.

TXEBONY

Re: My Williamsburg- IDed- Clean up in progress
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »
First go around with the rifle last night under a shop light.  I couldn't believe how filthy the gun was.....is (cloth still coming up dirty).  I'll try and post some pics by stage.  The renaissance wax still hasn't arrived.  Closest place with any was 256mi away! :o

Thanks for all the cleaning advice guys.

Offline Randall Steffy

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
And to think some builders/finishers work hard and intentionally to get that filth on the gun as part of getting that "look." I hope you get the look that suits you, as you should. :)

TXEBONY

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
You're really talented Steffy.  Saw your swivel breech.  I think you'll be surprised as to how subtle the change and yet how much more beautiful the rifle has become.  I'm following the Master's technique.  Hopefully it will last another 42 years under proper care.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
You're really talented Steffy.  Saw your swivel breech.  I think you'll be surprised as to how subtle the change and yet how much more beautiful the rifle has become.  I'm following the Master's technique.  Hopefully it will last another 42 years under proper care.

Actually it should last another two or three centuries! The only real danger to modern collector guns are house fires, theft, and damage while being transported.
Gary

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 03:27:42 AM »
Gary, don't leave off Politicians. Perhaps the biggest danger of all!!!!!! ;D

TXEBONY

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »
I'll take those odds.  50% of those problems can be solved by proficient skill with a firearm.  :P

TXEBONY

Re: My Williamsburg- couple new pictures
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 05:17:11 AM »
These pictures were taken under a 500w shoplight.  Looks like I'm done.  I'll be finishing with the paste wax tomorrow or the next day.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 07:16:51 PM »
If it were me I would not do anything more to the brass - it sure has a nice mellow look to it.

Nice looking rifle.  It is neat to see these pieces that were built before RCA came out and people didn't seem to feel quite as bound by preconceived notions of what the final product should look like.  Not that there is anything wrong with sticking to the examples in the books, but I also enjoy seeing work that is a creative expression of the maker but still pulls off achieving the feel of a period gun.  This one does a nice job of that and it is one of a kind - if you take it to an event you won't see five other guys walking around with the same rifle.  

Guy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:18:29 PM by Guy Montfort »

TXEBONY

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
I hate polishing brass, so no worries there.   Rich Pierce flint is going in to finish her off. Thanks for the comments Guy.

Carl