Author Topic: What punch to use to make .62 cal patches ?  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Nessmuck

What punch to use to make .62 cal patches ?
« on: January 05, 2023, 05:24:56 AM »
Just wondering if a place sells patch punches....or yah have some homemade ones ...and Thanks

Offline smylee grouch

Re: What punch to use to make .62 cal patches ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 05:46:51 AM »
I dont have a punch for my 62 but I do have a circle saw. I went to a thrift store or pawn shop and found a used  one. Ground the teeth off and ground an edge on the out side. Mounted in my drill press I cut about 6 or 7 at a time out of denim strips. Cant remember what dia. the hole saw is though.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 06:35:01 AM »
1 1/8" should work but might be a little small. I'd use 1 1/4" arch punch for .62 patches.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 05:45:08 PM »
Thanks Daryl..
Couldn't think of the correct name for that punch

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 09:00:36 PM »
First, I would measure the bore then I would look at the dimensions of various hole saws and then buy one that matches the bore diameter - you will need the INSIDE dimeter of the hole saw not the outside diameter. I would then grind off the teeth and grind a cutting edge on the outside of that hole saw. I would then use it in a drill press to cut out as MANY as needed.  :)

If you have a lathe, I would just make a cutter to fit your bore and use it in a drill press to cut out as MANY as needed. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 09:02:41 PM »
The Home Hardware store in town here used to sell arch punches. I would suggest perhaps Harbor Freight Stores in the States,
of Home Depot.
My 1 1/8" punch that I used for my .58's is a PRIORY Made in England. I just tested a 1 1/8" denim patch with a .595" ball and it would work, but
just barely IF the ball is perfectly centred. I now suggest at least a 1 1/4", or 1 3/8".  I use a 1 1/2" punch for my .69 and they are quite a but larger
than necessary.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 09:08:46 PM »
First, I would measure the bore then I would look at the dimensions of various hole saws and then buy one that matches the bore diameter - you will need the INSIDE dimeter of the hole saw not the outside diameter. I would then grind off the teeth and grind a cutting edge on the outside of that hole saw. I would then use it in a drill press to cut out as MANY as needed.  :)

If you have a lathe, I would just make a cutter to fit your bore and use it in a drill press to cut out as MANY as needed. ;)

Careful with the drill press. This was suggested by a friend who almost lost part of a hand just 'drilling' stacked patch material. The 'hole saw' grabble the material and tried to pull
his hand into the cutter.  Before grinding the teeth off the saw, cut a hole that size through 1/4" plywood. Then have another piece of ply, pine/spruce, UHMW/HDPE or what under that
to stop the cutting. Then, sharpen the hole saw and use up to 20 or so layers of material, quick-clamped to the drill table between the two pieces of wood. Drill the cloth through the hole
in the top piece of ply, down to the piece of wood or whatever below. UHMW or HDPE would be best.  Your wife's cutting board will also work (or pieces of it) ;D.
Daryl

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 10:08:57 PM »
Good point Daryl. When I cut patches I clamp about 6-7 layers with a Vice Grip and it works ok. I have tried/done 12-13 at a time but there is more waist between holes so I just cut 6-7 now.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 10:11:24 PM »
I have patches for a .62 in packages of 50.  They are .015 dry ticking.
$2.25 per package, or $2.00 if you buy 10 or more.

I've used them for years in both my rifle and fowler.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 04:51:58 AM »
I have a 1.5” Arch punch. I suspect its way big for 62
I would buy a hole saw at about 1 1/4”, one with a threaded hole in the back. NOT ONE WITH CARBIDE TEETH. I use 1 1/8” for 54.
Buy a 3” bolt that fits the threaded hole and a nut to match. Grind off the teeth to a sharp edge. Deburr the inside with a dremel tool and stone.
Put the nut on the bolt screw the bolt in the hole saw and then use the nut to lock the bolt down. Drive with a one pound or larger hammer. Will cut 6-8-10 at a time if the cloth is folded. Use a block of piece of hardwood or lead to cut against.
Hmm..
Press a ball in the bore with a thin piece of cloth with the ball level with the muzzle cut the light cloth at least 1/2 ball diameter. Or mark around it with a fine sharpie or a pen, then pull the ball out and measure the patch diameter. The patch won’t be exactly round but it will give you the size you need.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 08:01:31 PM »
When making a patch cutter out of a hole saw and using a drill press you do not leave the drill bit in the hole saw or for sure it will grab the material and suck your hand in - this should be common sense and obvious to most people :o ::)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 09:12:38 PM »
I would not have thought that ANYONE would leave the drill in the middle. What good is a patch with a hole in it?
Daryl

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:23:44 PM »
PWB:  As the cutter passes through the layers of cloth, the material has a tendency to want to climb up the outside of the cutter.  When it reaches the top, it will wrap itself around the spinning shaft and catastrophe follows immediately.  So caution is required when using a spinning cutter against cloth in a drill press.  A simpler and less potentially dangerous method is to acquire a bearing race with a 1 1/4" hole, and a ball bearing 1 1/2" in diameter.  Years ago, we had several of our shooters who worked for a morto winding factory here, and they broke up old electric motors for these huge balls, but they can also be purchased at a bearing firm in your community...they're a little spendy.
Place the bearing race on a hard surface...I use my anvil, the material over the race and the ball bearing on top of that.  Strike the ball with a hammer and the cloth will cut cleanly.  Since the ball is a little larger than the hole, the material is pushed down into the race's hole and so the patch will tend to be just slightly larger than the hole in the race.  To be even more effective, I grind the race on my belt grinder until the radiused edge becomes a sharp one.  Then, less energy is required with the hammer.  I cut five in succession, then remove the cut patches to a stack, and continue with the next five.  In an hour, you can but hundreds of patches, stovre them in a zip-lock bag with the diameter marked in felt pen...I use this system for everything from .25 cal to .77 cal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2023, 03:37:27 AM »
These are what I use, arch punches as well as bearing races and large bearings. No- the bearings will not shatter with a hammer blow, nor will the races shatter. This has been brought
up in the past when this topic is raised. We've (guys here in the North) have been cutting patches like this since the early 1980's with the very same bearings and races you see here.
The black block is UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight {poly} (HDPE *(High Density Polyethylene) in the States.
The white 'stuff' is used for butcher-shops for cutting boards. The colours (many) are re-claimed UHMW which is run through the process again. As it isn't 1st run, in Canada, it has to be coloured & cannot be used in butcher shops as cutting boards, hence the black one. Red and yellow are also made?? Don't know why. I bought 2 of these blocks for $10.00 each at Redwood Plastics shop here in PG. Covid restrictions killed that business afaik.
Note, when running the bearing race against a 9" grinding wheel to cut off the bevel & sharpen the edge, the bearing will spin and grind perfectly evenly as long as the bearing is not seized.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 03:46:33 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline Hank

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 04:56:10 PM »
i bought some 60 to 69 caliber commercial patches
They worked very well so I got a 1.5 inch arch punch and have been cutting my own
The are slightly big for 62 but are easy to handle

I am using army duck canvas from big duck canvas
It mikes out at .022 using the clicker on my micrometer and a .595 ball

Hope this helps

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 05:33:21 PM »
The circumference of a circle is pi times the diameter. You want the patches to be about 70-75% of that product. It obviously must be greater than half the product of pi times diameter to surely wrap around the waist of the ball with some to spare. If the patch is so big it can completely wrap around the ball, it will be messy to ram the ball home with some of the patch above the ball.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 09:36:56 PM »
People have stuck starters and ram rods in the bore to the point where the tip pulls off.  This usually only happens when the patch sticks up over the ball too much & gets between
the rod tip and the wall of the bore.
Daryl

Offline EC121

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 07:34:36 PM »
I just cut square patches with a rolling cutter and trim the corners for octagonal patches.  I measure across the flats and add a little.   Doesn't take long. 
    After starting I lift the rod to get it on top of the folded over patch.  Can't stick that way.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 07:37:46 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 10:17:59 PM »
Yes, of course, Care in loading helps many "situations" that otherwise would or could happen.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 07:43:15 AM »
I tear long strips of linen, dip em in deer tallow and cut nearly through only leaving a corner attached. Hook the first patch on my bag and am all set.
So mine ares square and have  always worked .   
Never had a need for a round one it seems!
Tear one off as needed.

Best,
Richard.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2023, 11:10:31 PM »
I use a fender washer as a template to trace around then fold the cloth four times and cut with scissors. Takes about 15 minutes to cut a whole pile.