Author Topic: Facing defeat  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Carl Young

Re: Facing defeat
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 08:52:29 PM »
Ha! good tall tale...the Stoner Creek I know wouldn't know how to spell defeat much less having been there and having the T-shirt ;)

In doing research sometimes the experiment works, sometimes not. But either way teaches us something.

It was great seeing you last week, can't wait until time to head north to Lexington again!

Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 10:14:44 PM »
Wait! Can't you send it back???  :-\

As I understand it the gentleman's' agreement that you can if you have not cut on it.  And then one exchange.  BUt then, how do you know it is bad until you go down the rabbit hole??

The people selling parts sets and precarves want their customers to be happy.  They will make every effort to help.

I have found a few who seem to be sincere in not understing how terrible their stocks actually are.  I suspect some of them are not capable of doing quality work and may not understand those who are.  Bottom line, if it matters to you avoid pantograph precarve stocks.  IF you must go there never get one with the lock inletted for you. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 10:48:41 PM »
I still think he could have made a multi-piece take-down, kinda like those fiberglass tent poles. ::)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 11:37:21 PM »
"if was easy, any darn fool could do it."
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 11:43:12 PM »
I’m converting this disaster into warm wonderful BTUs.
The week isn’t a total failure though! Got to play around with making and inlaying inlays today.

Stop Marxism in America

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 03:27:57 AM »
Nice job for a seeming Clutz, wrecking that other one.Sheesh!
Really nice job inlaying that silver, though. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline ScottH

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2023, 04:22:40 AM »
More pics of that cheek piece inlay please! 😃

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2023, 05:04:51 AM »
Im getting the feeling that our own SMR hater is fixing to show us how it’s done! Sign of a good artist/craftsman. Hat tip to the big guy! 😂
Eat Beef

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2023, 05:12:29 AM »
Oh no!!  I’ve felt like that a time or two.  At least you got to burn a few worms. 😳
Gary Tucker

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2023, 01:29:29 PM »
That's a sure fire way to get rid of a problem, and sometimes "making it work" aint working 
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Hatchet-Jack

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2023, 05:07:36 PM »
I had a bad feeling about this project from the start. Everything went down hill from there. Soft wood, worm galleries, and the ramrod hole went wayyyy too far downhill. I’m ok with fixing mistakes but a fellow needs to understand when to and when not to fight the good fight! It’ll make great kindling!
W

Ohhhh! If you haven't already burnt them they could be used by a novice like me to practice some carving.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2023, 05:13:34 PM »
   Stoner a little wood glue , a couple of hardwood dowels and that stock be good as new...

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2023, 04:30:37 AM »
My Great Granddaddy whittled the most fantastic stuff sitting in his rocker on his front porch, all the while his front yard was littered with this piece of castaway carving and that that never made it on the mantle. On to the next.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2023, 04:29:24 PM »
I’ve had to scrap two stocks. Both times it was because of the ramrod hole. The first one was because the hole went too low. The second one was because after drilling the hole, I drilled a little hole to check the depth and found something wasn’t right. I knew it had gone too low. It’s been a few years and I don’t remember all the details. I cut the stock in two and found that the hole wasn’t as bad as I thought. What happened was, my drill went down through the stock and when it broke through the ramrod hole, it continued down into the other side of the wood so when I put a depth probe in the hole, I got a false reading. I realized then it is better to drill the hole with the ramrod drill inside of the hole. This prevents the test hole from going too deep. My only consolation was the stock had some issues and I had another one waiting.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2023, 05:17:44 PM »
Ghee....when I sit in my recliner chair I'm always facing De-Feet.  ;D

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2023, 12:57:25 AM »
and I thought facing de feet mean't looking down!
Rob