Author Topic: Hiram Clark  (Read 703 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Hiram Clark
« on: January 20, 2023, 03:13:29 AM »
 This rifle is described by Bowers, on page 153 of “Gunsmiths of Pen-Mar-VA 1790-1840”.  As follows, “This writer has seen just one example of Hiram Clark’s work. His name was in script on top of the barrel. There were about a dozen silver inlays, Bedford style, a fine oval eagle cheek inlay, and an elaborately pierced side plate. The patchbox had a full wingspread eagle finial and lid engraving is done in a neat floral pattern, in the center which was set an oval of tortoise shell.  It was a fullstock, octagonal 40 1/2 inch barrel, with a Golcher percussion lock."
Bowers left out that the barrel is swamped.
From old records, we know that Hiram Clark at 15 years old was indentured to George Rizer gunsmith in Cumberland Maryland in 1807, until 1814 when Clark was 21. 
There is another signed Hiram Clark rifle on pages 83 & 84 in the old gray-covered “Maryland Longrifles”
Thought you might enjoy seeing this rifle & we would like to find out any information if there is any more signed pieces of his work and exactly where he did his work & when & where he died.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:19:11 AM by Avlrc »

Offline VP

Re: Hiram Clark
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 03:37:35 AM »
I don't know anything about Mr. Clark but I do like his engraving.

VP

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Hiram Clark
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 04:37:36 AM »
Ok, just found a couple of pics of signed work by Hiram in the Vol V Ohio book.  We know his brother James went to Ohio.  But I can't find that he was actually in Ohio, & the one rifle has a Bedford Hammer.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 04:56:23 AM by Avlrc »