Author Topic: Officially a squirrel rifle  (Read 1369 times)

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

Officially a squirrel rifle
« on: January 21, 2023, 07:12:12 PM »
With all the deer seasons finally over in WI, I can get in the woods after squirrels. Two nice greys this morning for a nice stock pot full. Saw plenty more in the woods. Even got to watch a mink hunt along a stone fence. Never thought they'd climb trees, but it went up about 8 feet, checked out a hole and came back down.

Offline taterbug

Re: Officially a squirrel rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 11:49:37 PM »
well done!  They'll be tasty too. 

What part of WI?  looks like not too much snow on the ground.  We get up north of GB about 6 times a year.  Sometimes me and the dog even get out to chase grouse and squirrels when we can avoid the deer hunters.  The plan this year is to do it all with black powder.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 12:17:27 AM »
Tater, SW Sheboygan County, right outside the Kettle Moraine forest. Have had a very warm and wet winter. I'm glad its finally going to freeze and snow. I am sick of mud, mud and more mud.

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 02:46:58 PM »
The bushytails are the most fun to hunt. You did well.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 03:21:35 PM »
Congrats for the successful hunt. Sweet looking rifle. What cal is she?  Don't see a lot of damage on the critters.

Hank 
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 02:08:48 AM »
Congrats for the successful hunt. Sweet looking rifle. What cal is she?  Don't see a lot of damage on the critters.

Hank

Its a 36 caliber. I hid the damage for the photo, but not that bad at all.

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 07:27:41 AM »
Squirrels and Flintlocks.  A hard combination to beat. Thanks for sharing.
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline MountainSmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 10:39:14 PM »
That's great! I always talk myself out of going this time of year more than I should because of the cold. Your picture inspires me to get out more, one of my favorite animals to hunt. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 11:26:33 PM »
That's great! I always talk myself out of going this time of year more than I should because of the cold. Your picture inspires me to get out more, one of my favorite animals to hunt. Congrats to you and thanks for sharing.

Most of the woods I have to hunt squirrels in are off limits during the archery and gun deer seasons. So I am used to hunting them in the colder winter months. Its a lot of fun with snow on the ground.