General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

shotguns and dry vegetation

(1/4) > >>

snapper:
Anyone ever had any issues with your wads starting fires from your shotguns?

In the Midwest I am hesitant to use my ML shotgun during hunting season.   The cover is almost always dead, dried grasses.  If a fire were to start it is likely to burn fairly fast and cover quite a bit of ground.

Thanks

Fleener

rich pierce:
Tow will start fires. I’ve not seen wadded up paper smolder. Regular wads are no hazard in my experience.

Daryl:
Agree, normal card or donnaconna cushion wads should be totally inert in a charge. When hunting, a lube is not needed. Using 2 or 3 simple overshot wads between powder and shot has worked
for me, up to 15 shots NP.

T*O*F:
Yes!!  The IL DNR preserve where I used to hunt pheasants banned MLshotguns because they had several incidents of them starting fires.  I forget what wad combo I was using at the time, but they let me use mine.

I also set an oak tree on fire shooting a patched round ball in my smoothbore using a spit patch.  This was in the fall at the Ft. DesChartres rendezvous.

rich pierce:

--- Quote from: T*O*F on January 26, 2023, 09:55:12 PM ---I also set an oak tree on fire shooting a patched round ball in my smoothbore using a spit patch.  This was in the fall at the Ft. DesChartres rendezvous.

--- End quote ---

Reminds me of Pancho and Lefty!
Living on the road my friend
Was gonna keep you free and clean
And now you wear your skin like iron
And your breath as hard as kerosene

Any other explanation?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version