Author Topic: South Carolina D. T. Peden rifle found  (Read 1675 times)

Offline AZshot

South Carolina D. T. Peden rifle found
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:35:16 AM »
This is a signed D. T. Peden (1840-1875), son of Thomas Peden (1799-1858), from the Greenville area of South Carolina.  This was a family of gunsmiths, I found an elder also is listed in a census as a gunsmith, prior to Thomas.  DT was Thomas' only son.  He is reputed to be married in 1855, so I need to do some better geneology research on his birth years.  Even then, you didn't marry at 15 very often.  I estimate this rifle as being made right before the Civil War.  He follows a lot of his father's style.

This rifle in one of 5 known that I found.  Three are from the father, 2 from the son. The stepped buttplate and unique patchboxes are hallmarks of the family, as is the trigger guard. I believe the barrel wedge escuchions too, I need to research. It is about 62" long overall, with a 42" barrel, about 45 caliber it feels like.  I hope you enjoy this SC rifle.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:59:59 PM by AZshot »

Offline AZshot

Re: South Carolina D. T. Peden rifle found
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 03:36:33 AM »
Now some of the details.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 03:42:31 AM by AZshot »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 07:32:12 AM »
Now, that is a mighty fine southern gun! Thank you for bringing her in. Looks like you are on the right track to find some really good unheralded pieces. Don't stop chasin em
because you haven't found the best one yet; close though. Not to soon to start thinking about a book as you turn up more.
Dick

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 07:41:59 AM »
Unique.  Great find IMO.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 04:13:51 PM »
Thanks both, I'm excited about it because I have relatives on both sides that were in the Greenville SC area from the mid 1800s on.  My ggggGreat Grandfather moved down to the Pickins area from Mills River in the late 1850s, leaving several grown sons.  His son's were pretty familiar with rifle making, worked with and married into the Gillespie line.  My mom's side had several direct ancestors in the area too.

Here is the tang, also engraved.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 07:33:10 PM by AZshot »

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 04:41:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing this great find with us. Always a pleasure when one surfaces.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 06:09:04 PM »
Wow, very nice..!
Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 07:24:10 PM »
Now that's an interesting rifle! The guy certainly enjoyed using his imagination.
Thanks for letting us enjoy seeing it.
John
John Robbins

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 03:12:34 AM »
Do you know who made the breech plug and tang? The tang is a style often used by J & S Hawken, but clearly they didn't produce these. They show up on guns across America. I've been on the search to find out if these have a makers stamp on them. A Tryon product perhaps? I've only contacted a few people. One collector removed the tang from a rifle he owned but there was no stamp on the underside.
Bob

Offline AZshot

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 07:22:48 PM »
I do not know who made the tang.  I do have another rifle or two with that oblong shape though.  I don't think they're hooked breech.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 07:31:48 PM by AZshot »

Offline AZshot

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2023, 08:24:17 PM »
On the engravings, it occurred to me that they have a very distinctive look.  Then in came to me.  Rice plants.  South Carolina was the biggest producer of Rice for 200 years.  The Carolina Gold variety was world famous, and plantations in the low country grew rice by the thousands of pounds a year.  It was very profitable, and rice became an icon that symbolized wealth.  There is rice featured in carvings, on bedposts, picture frames, on cloth, on doorknobs, from the 1700s until the mid 1800s.  When I was growing up we'd visit my grandmother in Orangeburg, SC, and the big meal was called "Supper" because "Dinner" was lunch.  And they served rice.  Still do.  You make a beef roast, you serve rice with it, with gravy.  BBQ? Rice.  And so on, it was a big part of SC.  So to me (my interpretation), this looks like rice, albeit Greenville is quite a distance from the rice plantations. 

See: https://www.knowitall.org/video/when-rice-was-king-2-south-carolinas-rice-economy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:31:31 PM by AZshot »

Offline RobertS

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 10:24:03 PM »
Wow, I love it.  THanks for putting it up!

Offline TDM

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 10:43:17 PM »
Beautiful workmanship, a treasure.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 12:26:17 AM »
Or sheaths of wheat.
Reminds me of this tang as well.  Also on a hooked breech.

identity pics
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 05:25:24 AM »
Nice rifle. 
But I'm not sure much wheat was grown in South Carolina pre Civil War.  I'm sure some was.  Rice - that was bigtime. "By 1860 South Carolina farmers were producing more than ... 117 million pounds of rice annually." https://www.scencyclopedia.org/sce/entries/agriculture/

That bed post I show is a known iconic, "Rice Bed" from Charleston.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 12:03:26 AM by AZshot »