Author Topic: Jacob Hoak rifle display.  (Read 1869 times)

Offline utseabee

Jacob Hoak rifle display.
« on: January 31, 2023, 03:09:38 PM »
Our local muzzle loader club has a gun show each year as a fundraiser.  This year I was able to pull together several Jacob Hoak rifles for a display. It was kind of cool to see them together.
Thanks for looking.

The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Jacob Hoak rifle display.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »
Nice display.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 06:04:37 PM »
Very nice, a great group of rifles. Thanks for sharing..!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 06:08:55 PM »
He was a wonderful builder. Every gun looks classy. Would love a few closeups of patchboxes and carving.
Andover, Vermont

Offline utseabee

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 07:28:58 PM »
He was a wonderful builder. Every gun looks classy. Would love a few closeups of patchboxes and carving.
Rich,
I am lucky enough to still have them together to put on my table for the artisans show in Carlisle  this weekend.  I will try and get you some better pictures then. Only one of them is carved.  Will you be at the artisans show?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 07:33:10 PM »
Thanks for the nice display!
And that's a very cool wrist repair on the 3rd one down!!! Could you take a better pic next time you show them?
John
John Robbins

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 07:46:18 PM »
Rich,
I am lucky enough to still have them together to put on my table for the artisans show in Carlisle  this weekend.  I will try and get you some better pictures then. Only one of them is carved.  Will you be at the artisans show?

I won’t make it to the show. Next year I’ll be retired and hope to travel a lot more. I’ve heard nothing but great things about this show.
Andover, Vermont

Offline utseabee

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 08:27:08 PM »
Thanks for the nice display!
And that's a very cool wrist repair on the 3rd one down!!! Could you take a better pic next time you show them?
John
John.
I will get you close ups of the wrist repair when I set up at the show. They actually engraved checkering on it. I think it is one of the neatest repairs that I have ever seen. I don't own the one with the repair, but I am fortunate that the owner is willing to let me display it with mine.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 08:44:24 PM »
A dandy display .... With the old EAGLE MUSEUM brochure on the table, I assume the top gun is lot #771 from Vince Nolt's  sale in 1984 (with a gavel price of $2750). Unfortunately his catalog has a washed out photo of  the cheekpiece, relief carving and touch hole pick. If possible, could you post a better image?

Offline utseabee

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 08:56:40 PM »
A dandy display .... With the old EAGLE MUSEUM brochure on the table, I assume the top gun is lot #771 from Vince Nolt's  sale in 1984 (with a gavel price of $2750). Unfortunately his catalog has a washed out photo of  the cheekpiece, relief carving and touch hole pick. If possible, could you post a better image?
Sure. I will take the  pictures when I set up the display this week. There are also some good pictures of that rifle that were posted in the past on the Kentucky Rifle Foundation Facebook page. They post pictures of a lot of nice rifles on their page.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 11:49:49 PM »
Great looking display. J. Hoak was one of my favorite original makers.

A meager attempt at a J. Hoak.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 05:28:55 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline VP

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2023, 02:28:25 AM »
Great display, always a pleasure to see several rifles from one maker.

VP

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2023, 03:05:48 AM »
Great display!!! Most Hoak's I have ever seen together. I have one that has some incised carving and the obligatory wonderful patch box. It has been converted and has been shortened 10 inches to make a 'hog shooter' gun. Oddly, it is a rare occasion to find a good carved Hoak, as most seem to be plainer. He was know for metal rather than wood, I suspect and so that is how he made therm. A good carved Hoak is a rare piece. The all time great one is in the King collection and it is a real screamer. Thank you for posting this display and bringing them by!
Dick

Offline utseabee

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 02:01:54 PM »
Great display!!! Most Hoak's I have ever seen together. I have one that has some incised carving and the obligatory wonderful patch box. It has been converted and has been shortened 10 inches to make a 'hog shooter' gun. Oddly, it is a rare occasion to find a good carved Hoak, as most seem to be plainer. He was know for metal rather than wood, I suspect and so that is how he made therm. A good carved Hoak is a rare piece. The all time great one is in the King collection and it is a real screamer. Thank you for posting this display and bringing them by!
Dick
Dick,
   Do you have any pictures of yours?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 10:36:44 PM »
UT, my Hoak is shown on page 119 in Jim Whisker's second book, "Behold the Long Rifle, Again' in stunning black and white. The photos do show some detail, and they are all I have at the moment. Gun came out of an old collection in Black Stump. VA about 35 years ago. The photos show the left side carving, but not tang carving, which it does have. A correction is in order here; the best Hoak is in the Kindig collection, (not the King, !@*%&@ computer).
Dick

Offline utseabee

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 12:32:01 AM »
UT, my Hoak is shown on page 119 in Jim Whisker's second book, "Behold the Long Rifle, Again' in stunning black and white. The photos do show some detail, and they are all I have at the moment. Gun came out of an old collection in Black Stump. VA about 35 years ago. The photos show the left side carving, but not tang carving, which it does have. A correction is in order here; the best Hoak is in the Kindig collection, (not the King, !@*%&@ computer).
Dick

Dick,
    Thank you for the information. I will have to look it up.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 09:41:26 PM »
UT, while you are about it, look at Whisker; "Behold the Long Rifle" first book. Two Hoak guns are shown: one is clearly by his hand and the other is out there a little, but could still be a Hoak, (pp 80 & 176). The latter piece resembles the top rifle in your first photo and they may be the same gun. but can't really tell. I believe that the former rifle is by Hoak though it deviates from what we usually regard as the standard. This may be the storied rifle  that was said to be found in an Ohio limestone cave scores of years ago. Looks like gnawed damage to the wood by rodents.
Dick