Author Topic: Antique York horn  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Antique York horn
« on: February 23, 2023, 08:12:46 PM »
The horn is a 1775-1780 York horn. The bag was made by Lawrence Fiorillo.

The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Antique York horn
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 11:17:17 PM »
 Dan, are you sating that is an original horn from 1775-1780 or a reproduction of one?

Thanks, Tim

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 11:43:44 PM »
This is an original 18th C York horn paired with a contemporary bag
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 01:56:43 AM »
 Man that thing is on good shape, does it show any ware?

Tim   

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 04:50:23 AM »
Dan, that is a mighty fine York horn! These beauties are in a class by themselves. They are the most beautiful of all the types of horns made back then, I think. I don't like to see one that is carved because in my view it detracts from the basic beauty of the piece itself. Yours is in fine condition and that is typical for the majority of York horns. The ones showing a lot of wear and use are smaller in number than those like yours. Thank you for posting the photos of your nice outfit. We all appreciate it.
Dick

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 03:40:05 PM »
That’s a set for display only I take it.  Much too nice (and valuable) of an original York horn to carry.  Tips can get separated, split out from the stopper usage, staples come out, old dry horns full of powder get banged against stuff, etc.  If it were mine, I would retire that one to a well deserved “display only” in the man cave, and have a contemporary version made to carry….If that Lawrence Fiorillo bag is meant for some actual use. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 03:50:55 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 05:37:36 PM »
Well call me crazy, but I'm going to use this rig. Not for hunting but shooting events. I'm not going to keep stuff if I can't use it, and this horn is no exception.

Plans are in the works for a Reading horn/bag rig as well.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 11:23:45 PM »
Really nice horn and set up.  But will u wear it like that with the horn hanging so low?

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 04:51:17 PM »
The majority of old original hunting rigs showed the horn hung just below the flap.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 08:17:57 PM »
It's probably just me, but I think there is nothing as annoying as a horn hanging so it rests on the flap of the bag.  It would be especially in the way when you try to get into the bag, first lifting the horn out of the way, then the flap.  I carry my horns on separate straps ABOVE the bag, so I can pin the horn down with my arm carrying the rifle, and it is out of the way when I go into the bag.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 04:24:39 PM »
Of course is your horn to do with as you wish. It’s rare to see something that old in that good of condition. It would be sad If it were damaged after all these years.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2023, 04:08:05 PM »
Yes Shreck it would be indeed sad if danger befell such a nice antique. It might never leave the house, but I do some 18thC market fairs with gun and pouch, and a few "old timers" shoots and I feel comfortable I can be careful enough as to use it in those environments without too great a risk. Thanks for everyone's replies.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 05:53:30 PM »
I completely understand.  Beautiful horn.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 11:20:43 PM »
That horn definitely does not appear in any way to be that old.

Offline TDM

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 08:20:19 AM »
That is one well cared for horn.

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 03:56:43 PM »
Art Decamp's book "Horns of the trade" shows several period horns from the 1750-60 era through the 1820 period. Most are in a fine state of preservation, including some French and Indian war horns.

This post shows a York horn from the same era, with a split tip. The tip on mine was also damages and repaired.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=67023.0

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2023, 09:41:18 PM »
Beautiful horn in incredible shape.  Wonder if it was a "cabin queen"?

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 02:11:07 AM »
Thats how I carry my horn, Taylor, on a seperate strap above my bag.  Stays out of the way and doesnt interfere with getting into the bag.