Author Topic: ST Louis Horn?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
ST Louis Horn?
« on: March 07, 2023, 11:36:51 AM »
Saw this listed recently online, cant recall where though. Pretty elaborate and not exactly what I think of for a St Louis horn but still? I'm curious about opinions you all may have.
TC Albert

"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
Re: ST Louis Horn?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 04:57:25 PM »
Despite origination it's a very attractive bison horn skillfully executed.  A work of art.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 05:02:40 PM »
 The spots are one thing, inletting the diamond shapes is a whole nother story. The 4 alphas make me think they are not initials but may be an organization/business. Also thinking it is not N. American.

Tim

Offline Kevin

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 08:16:14 PM »
The 4 alphas make me think they are not initials but may be an organization/business.

Another possibility is that they are for someone with two middle names (ex: George Herbert Walker Bush)

Kevin

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 09:12:19 PM »
The 4 alphas make me think they are not initials but may be an organization/business.

Another possibility is that they are for someone with two middle names (ex: George Herbert Walker Bush)

Kevin

A persons initials are probably what they are, the other thought is just an option. In any case they were not easy to do either.

Tim
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 09:15:33 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 12:02:29 AM »
Some years ago I found in Indiana a very nice, actually great, bison powder horn, neatly flattened, and heavily decorated with white (bone) and red (catlinite?) dots all arranged in patterns, with a few other small figures including diamonds. It had four initials, slightly separated in the middle, with a heart-figure surrounding them in red dots. It was obviously a sweat-heart image, to remember a wife or girlfriend when far away.

I showed the horn to Louis Parker at an Ilinois show and he feigned little interest in it, almost poo-poo'd it. But a month or two after the show he called and asked it the horn was still available and how much. Louis was difficult to negotiate with, but he had a rare Bardstown, KY pistol by Jacob Rizer that he had tormented me with for years, and I finally had something he really wanted... despite his efforts to play down the bison horn. We reached an agreement, he got the horn and some money, and I got a great pistol I couldn't otherwise pry loose from his steely hands.

Funny thing then happened... Louis changed his mind about the quality of the bison horn, and I heard through the grapevine that a few months later he had it out on a table at a St. Louis show and was really talking it up... go figure!

I mention this because this horn, while different, has the striations and strong curve of Bison horn, and despite the four initials running together, I'm inclined to think it's probably a western American horn and the initials indicate two people, perhaps man and wife/girlfriend. Not all buffalo horns were made in St. Louis, and not all are related to the great "black & white" horns that we think of as St. Louis horns, and that Louie Parker liked to build.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 12:24:39 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 12:36:15 AM »
  I like that idea on the letters, would have never thought of that.

Tim

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 05:33:43 PM »
Thanks Shelby. I actually thought of Louie’s dot decorated flat bison horn when I saw this one.
Never knew the back story for how he got it though. I think it is a really great horn too. I also think the inlay decorated bison horns with the plain wooden end plugs may be an actually subset of St Louis horns, but it may just be wishful thinking on my part?
TC Albert
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com