Author Topic: Magic Maple Stain / Chromic Acid Stain Adivce  (Read 689 times)

Offline sparrish321

• Starting Member
Magic Maple Stain / Chromic Acid Stain Adivce
« on: January 18, 2024, 03:32:16 AM »
Need Advice....

I purchased a longrifle at an estate sale with the intentions to refinish the wood....had a greenish-brown color.  The rifle is marked 1997, and it was suggested to me that it may have been stained with Magic Maple Stain / Chromic Acid as these products were in use then and could turn some wood green.  After researching and looking at pics, I think this is a fair assumption.  After several coats of paint/varnish remover (2 minute Remover Advanced worked the best), I was finally got the finish/top coat removed; now working on sanding etc....a lot of the greenish color is removing. 

QUESTION:  Is there a way to neutralize this stuff (after being applied for almost 30 years) to stop any future re-greening of the wood?  I found MM directions on the web and they state to also apply a wood stain containing red pigments to counteract any green that may develop in the future.  The stock's wood grain if very nice and worth some effort.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Shawn

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: Magic Maple Stain / Chromic Acid Stain Adivce
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 04:18:01 AM »
If the finish is all removed, a good alcohol based stain will take the green out. Must be a penetrating stain, like LMF,
Then let dry and refinish. It should be fine
In His grip,

Dane

Offline sparrish321

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 09:08:51 PM »
smallpatch:  Thanks for your suggestion, helps to confirm what I was thinking.  LMF or transtint are the direction I'm heading......probably mix colors with red undertones in case the green reappears....in theory should produce a brown tone.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 11:07:25 PM »
Would oxalic acid work?
David

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 08:26:14 PM »
I tried oxalic acid on some wood stained with chromic acid.  It seemed to lighten the green a bit, but it still had a greenish tone.  This was on a desk "restored" in the '70s then sat in a location exposed to sunlight, which seemed to really "bring out the greens".  I ended up using multiple coats of a very dilute red stain then French polished with garnet shellac. 

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 01:38:30 AM »
Small scrappers can get into some harder to sand areas.  I like the reddish base stain idea.  You could also use two alcohol based stains, as some builders do.  A red undertone stain (to counteract any leftover residual chromic acid) and possibly a brown over stain second coat.  Or you could just go with the reddish stain.  Either would be a huge improvement over the green shade.  Practice on some scraps first.