Author Topic: Patchbox Door Artwork  (Read 1325 times)

1LongRifleBoy

Patchbox Door Artwork
« on: March 19, 2023, 12:04:45 AM »
Hope everyone's Saturday is good aside from the weather. I wanted to see what you all think about the art work on the patch box door of this Pennsylvania made piece of 1820 or earlier. Seems I have seen something like it before but cannot quite put a name on it. What is this object and/or activity a depiction of?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Greg

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:18:42 PM by 1LongRifleBoy »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Patchbox Door Artwork
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 12:11:06 AM »
Bow quiver hawk arrow. Can we see the rest?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

1LongRifleBoy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 05:23:38 PM »
Sure liked your interpretation. I take you are seeing the hawk cut out in the area above the door hinge. I just added a more inclusive pic.

Many thanks,

Greg

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 07:30:41 PM »
The art work on the door is indeed a variance of the “Bow and Quiver” that was common on trade guns in the eighteenth century. Look closely, the bow is the long mustache lookin piece. With an arrow on the left and a quiver on the right. There s a tomahawk in the center, upside down. I believe these symbols were used to convey to the natives that the firearm was to take the place of these primitive weapons. The engraving patch box doors is usually meant to be viewed “upside down”. The cut out, I believe is not a depiction of anything, its just a design the maker came up using scrolls on the finale….LK
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 08:10:41 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 02:01:08 PM »
That’s a fine rifle. Is that a Henry family lock?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 08:15:35 PM »
I have always marveled at the cartoon nature of this time period's depiction of archery tackle.  At best, one can only call them symbols for the actual weapons.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

1LongRifleBoy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 07:01:52 AM »
Great work guys. After being told what to look for I can plainly see these objects of which you detailed. Makes sense that this art would be well received by a native on a trade gun but was such also used on non-trade guns as well?

Greg