Author Topic: Help identifying maker  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Bill Weedman

Help identifying maker
« on: March 19, 2023, 07:43:37 PM »
Anyone know the maker of this rifle. Signed LHM between set of dots. Lock is T. Davidson, Cincinnati OH who was in operation 1850-53.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Help identifying maker
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 10:16:19 PM »
The rifle looks like Ohio, IN, IL.    Ohio book has an L Morath, 1853 Directory, Newark.  & an L Morrett, Columbus 1850.

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:24:36 PM »
No doubt midwestern rifle. I am hopeful that someone recognizes the way the Rifle is marked. I have books on Missouri, Illinois and Indiana but none on Ohio other than the databases you can find online. The script initials and dot group on the ends could be distinctive.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 10:53:06 PM »
If you have deducted makers from IL, MO, IN, then I would think L. Morrett from Columbus, deserves a little research. 

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 11:50:22 PM »
I will check him out.
Thank you for your help.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 03:32:17 AM »
Before anyone does a lot of research on the initials, I think they have been "deciphered" upside down. The middle initial is an "A" rather than "H" and when inverted I read the barrel inscription as "W A T," or perhaps "F" for the last initial. Can you provide a good image of the last initial, for better identification?

Shelby Gallien

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 05:02:32 AM »
Before anyone does a lot of research on the initials, I think they have been "deciphered" upside down. The middle initial is an "A" rather than "H" and when inverted I read the barrel inscription as "W A T," or perhaps "F" for the last initial. Can you provide a good image of the last initial, for better identification?

Shelby Gallien

Good eye.

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 02:06:54 PM »
I inverted it from the original configuration for you. I have trouble reading the faint script letters. I am glad someone has better eyes than me and is more familiar with the script letters.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 02:30:22 PM »
Shelby you are correct, the letters read W. A. F, you can barely see the cross bar for the F but it is there. Good luck with your search on the maker, it's always nice to know this information.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 03:35:27 PM »
You guys are amazing. Thanks for helping me out.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 06:06:14 PM »
If the last name was a T, there is a William A Throckmorton, Ohio, but the gun pictured does not look like this one.
At least six gunmakers listed in the Ohio books with the initials W. F.  But the couple I looked up had different middle initials.

Why all the lazy gunsmiths back then, could not even engrave their last name,   :)

Offline Bill Weedman

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 06:18:21 PM »
There are so many possibilities that I don’t believe the maker will be found unless by chance. It would take some time to research each individual possibility and there would still be questions.
Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 06:30:42 PM »
There are so many possibilities that I don’t believe the maker will be found unless by chance. It would take some time to research each individual possibility and there would still be questions.
Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Ye of little faith.  :)   Are you sure that the last initial is an F? 

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 08:44:28 PM »
Am I the only one here that rubs a little chalk dust into engraved, or stamped name so they can be read easier?

Hungry Horse

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 04:45:53 AM »
I have no doubt that if the chalk dust was applied it would probably help. I have saved and cropped the picture and then outlined what I see as a Capital F with a little flourish. It is very faint but once I point it out I think everyone will see it. Please see the attachments. I have no dog in this fight but I would hate for the OP to spend a lot of time looking for a wrong last name.

Jim

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 04:55:00 AM »
Bama, that helped a lot. 

Offline Avlrc

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 06:24:31 AM »
I just searched several of the makers in the Ohio book with W F initials.  Even checked them out on ancestry & unless I missed something which is very possible, none of them had the middle initial A. Maybe more Westward.