Author Topic: "Black" Rifles Really Are Kind of Neat... Like This "J. Stonesifer"  (Read 2437 times)

Online Tanselman

• member 2
I acquired a cheap, in-the-black, rifle that had a broken stock [wood contraction] out past the rear pipe and the tang broken off at the bolt hole. Despite its dark, dirty surface and darkly tarnished silver inlay work, it turned out to be a wonderful rifle with only one inlay missing near the muzzle on front side. The barrel is signed "J. Stonesifer" in fine script. I was attracted to the gun by its fine patchbox, heavily engraved in a beautiful Maryland style, but after getting the gun in hand this afternoon, every detail of the rifle is eye-catching. The gun is an original percussion rifle with slightly heavy uncut barrel 42-7/16" long and 15/16" across flats with a .38 caliber bore. The barrel has open hook loops and slides into place over permanent pins hidden underneath the silver forestock inlays. Despite a broken tang, forestock break, and one missing inlay, under the dirt and tarnish the gun is pretty solid and just needs a little love to get it looking good again. I took the pictures on a black background to fool the camera's light meter and make the dark gun show up better... so it's actually a little darker than it looks in these photos. Just thought everyone might like to see a very good rifle hiding under dirt and tarnish that surprised me by its quality and is rather rare, since most Stonesifer rifles are plain-janes.

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:35:59 AM by Tanselman »

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Is that a national road patchbox Shelby?

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: "Black" Rifles Really Are Kind of Neat... Like This "J. Stonesifer"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 01:33:03 AM »
Wonderful
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Online Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 01:52:04 AM »
Michael,

I don't know what the Maryland guys call it, but with that finial, I'd sure call it a National Road patchbox. And just in case anyone wants to see a great pierced toe plate to go along with the rest of the inlay work, here's a picture of it. Don't blame me for the poor quality... my cat did it!

Shelby Gallien

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 01:59:16 AM »
I like it!
Nice find there, Shelby!
John Robbins

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 02:33:17 AM »
Quite a rifle in it's day - HEAVY too.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 03:09:00 AM »
That is a dandy.

Offline VP

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 03:16:29 AM »
That is some fantastic patchbox engraving!

VP

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 11:58:36 AM »
I love to see rifles like that one, hope you have the breaks repaired. I have not seen wood break like that forearm! I bet it took a man with strong arms to carry and shoot a rifle with a barrel that heavy.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 01:50:18 PM »
Nice find Shelby. Love the detail on the Eagle.
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 02:00:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing this beautiful find with us.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 03:19:11 PM »
Nice find Shelby. Another fine old rifle will be removed from the neglected list to the loved and cared for list, thanks Shelby.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 04:24:18 PM »
That is a very attractive rifle Shelby!
The patchbox is one of the nicest I have ever seen.

Thank you for showing it!
Richard.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 03:39:53 AM »
Great find! I have always liked Stonesifer's work. A couple more real nice examples are in the red Maryland book on pages 116 and 118. John Stonesifer the 3rd. Thanks for sharing.

Offline AZshot

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2023, 04:02:13 AM »
Congrats Shelby, on a beautiful piece of our history!

Offline Dave Peelgren

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2023, 04:40:31 AM »
Is the release in the hinge? That repair looks like an easy one.

Online Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2023, 06:34:35 AM »
I could not find the release button at first. I looked at the other known Stonesifer rifles, then at the Daniel Marker guns since Stonesifer must have been associated with him/them or trained by them. I finally figured out the patchbox release "button" is under the patchbox's top side leaf near the butt plate edge. That portion of the side leave can be pushed inward slightly, kind of springy feeling. But I still can't get the lid open!

I'm still amazed at the quality of the patchbox when compared to all other known Stonesifer rifles. He was a great engraver, equal to, or slightly better than, the best of the Markers. His cheekpiece eagle is superbly engraved, and a couple of his other guns have similar well executed eagles in the cheek.

Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:37:46 AM by Tanselman »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2023, 07:21:59 AM »
Shelby triumphs again!!! Good for you. A really beautiful rifle with the greatest wear patterns on that fine piano finish I have ever seen. Some rough treatment, (were the kids playing with it?) but mostly just cosmetic roughness. She will clean up beautifully. Aside from the already mentioned unusual features, I like the jointed forestock and the open ended barrel tenons. That was a lot of extra work and not something that is encountered that often. Thank you for letting us have a look at a gorgeous lady. We appreciate it.
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2023, 02:44:30 PM »
The patchbox and Eagle are outstanding! Really all the features are. Thanks for showing it to us. These posts keep my interest going.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline taterbug

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2023, 07:03:40 PM »
WOW!  just thinking about the inletting for that box and toe-plate makes me dizzy!  And then theres the engraving...

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2023, 07:21:30 PM »
Shelby, I'm curious if the forestock is broken at that point, or if it was made that way? From the picture it looks like a very straight cut, and the wood color looks like it was covered at some point. I'm familiar with the open loop sliding barrel works having worked on a couple guns with this feature, and wonder if all the loops are open ended, or just the furthest one aft? 

I sure wish a cool rifle like that would pop up around here! (Wishful thinking at best)

John
John Robbins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2023, 07:43:49 PM »
Very cool rifle! We all dream of finding one like that.  I noticed the the top of the butt plate with the piece of steel enlet . Nice  Armstrong ( Maryland ) feature. 
JIM

Offline homerifle

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2023, 09:19:56 PM »
I could not find the release button at first. I looked at the other known Stonesifer rifles, then at the Daniel Marker guns since Stonesifer must have been associated with him/them or trained by them. I finally figured out the patchbox release "button" is under the patchbox's top side leaf near the butt plate edge. That portion of the side leave can be pushed inward slightly, kind of springy feeling. But I still can't get the lid open!

I'm still amazed at the quality of the patchbox when compared to all other known Stonesifer rifles. He was a great engraver, equal to, or slightly better than, the best of the Markers. His cheekpiece eagle is superbly engraved, and a couple of his other guns have similar well executed eagles in the cheek.

Shelby Gallien
I have always felt there may be an association with Glaze, since his shop was in the Oldtown area. A very short distance from Cumberland where Stonesifer was born and his father being a gunsmith and clock maker lived. Also Glaze used the hidden release in the bottom side leaf of the patch box. The interrupted fore stock molding seen in some of Stonesifer's work is also present on Glaze's work. Just food for thought. Thanks again for posting.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 01:33:43 AM »
What a beautiful gun. The Patchbox is so elegant. The engraved eagle is executed in some of the finest engraving I’ve seen.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Online Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 01:59:52 AM »
John's question about whether the forestock is broken, or possibly cut, made me take a closer look at the separation. Actually, the "break" looks more like flat cuts on both ends that have chipped out in places along the edges to where it made me think it was a break. And then I began wondering if the forend pins used open or closed loops... so I tugged it until it came off, along with 150 years of orange dust underneath it, and the forward loops are also open hooks. I'm posting pictures below of the hook nearest muzzle. The rear two hooks on either side of the split in the forestock have had their ends broken off and look more like posts now.

And then I looked more closely at the odd rear sight... which looks beefy, well-mounted, and original to me (but I've been wrong before according to my wife) and it looks like an early, good quality gunsmith-made peep sight. I've attached different views of the rear sight, as well as the smaller front sight, and would appreciate opinions on whether it's original or added later. I guess I should have looked at the gun more closely when it arrived a couple days ago, but I was having so much fun looking at the patchbox and great silver work that the rest of the gun was ignored. Gee, maybe there's a lesson in there somewhere.

Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 05:34:11 AM by Tanselman »