Author Topic: Extra long hard-sided muzzleloader cases for airplane travel  (Read 2208 times)

Offline cwepps

• Starting Member
Extra long hard-sided muzzleloader cases for airplane travel
« on: April 19, 2023, 03:43:38 AM »
I was looking for a lockable, hard-sided (and thus airline approved) gun case that has an external length of at least 64", and ideally one that can accommodate 2 rifles- which means it probably should be 12-13" wide and 4.5-5.5" deep. I got some helpful replies about different case options so I moved this thread here in case it's useful to other shooters.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 07:13:04 PM by cwepps »

Offline Carper

The Crazy Crow case is about 68 inside  but 2 rifles would be close . I’ve flown with them but only one rifle in each case.  .  I was not charged any extra.  Most airline allow 115 (lxwxH) inches for sporting goods.  However the Crazy Crow is not very robust and twice the case has severely broken in flight ( I have 2) .  I highly suggest a liberal application of Gorilla tape on all edges and pull the foam out and tape the joints and put the foam back in.   The walls are some kind of cardboard with a thin veneer of plastic.   The rifles made the voyage fine but I was lucky on one of them that the case didn’t disintegrate.  But I had not taped them .  I now fly with SKB but it’s only 60 inches inside so 42-43 is about as long a barrel as I’m comfortable putting in it.  However the SKB is bullet proof and will hold 2 rifles . But it’s a lot more expensive than the CRAZY CROW.  The baggage handlers are rough and the conveyors seem to be hard on long cases as well.  Hope this helps.

Online snapper

I have flown with a gun case a few times.   Each time I do not get hit with an oversized bag charge, even though it looks like I should based on the size of the case.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Ditto the issues with the Crazy Crow case! You definitely need to ‘up armor’ it yourself! If I were flying a lot, I’d remove all the foam and would use Raka epoxy to epoxy in fiberglass mat to the interior.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Hungry Horse

A caution on trying to fly with Harbor Freight hard cases. A friend bought their case and found out at the airport that the case was not approved. I really don’t know why, because the case is very sturdy, and locks with a padlock. Although I have nothing to compare it to, it seems very heavy, even while empty.

Hungry Horse

Offline BradBrownBess

We have a case company down the street - they make the cases for road shows - think amplifiers for rock bands etc - they do all custom work but unfortunately the quote came back at $1400 plus change to hold 2 long rifles. Now - they do quality work and the case would stand up to anything and it also had retractable wheels on one end due to its weight alone.

I think making your own is about the only way to go unless you need to fly with long rifles a lot - then shelling out the big bucks for an SKB type custom case would be ideal.

Online Joey R

I bought my case from Barbie Chambers.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline GrizG

Years ago Kalispel cases were used by Colonial Williamsburg to ship guns... not sure what they've done in more recent years. Kalispel will make custom cases if they don't currently make a stock case that fits your gun. My hunting buddy has one of their shotgun cases and from what I've seen they are excellent... I'd venture that they are baggage handler proof.  ;)

https://kalispelcaseline.net/our-cases

Offline Flint62Smoothie

FYI, I have the production supervisor from Kalispel quoting on Longrifle cases long enough to hold one with a 44" barrel ... I will report back.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline cwepps

• Starting Member
Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the very helpful responses and suggestions. I just talked to Kalispel (https://kalispelcaseline.net/custom-cases) and was able to order a custom case, 65x14x4.5" external, 64x13x4" internal, which should allow guns with barrels up to 47" depending on LOP. I have a 62" case of similar design that I bought from Cabelas years ago (no longer sold by them) and found that it's held up to many cross-country flights. Price they quoted me was around $725 plus tax and shipping.

I also talked to Barbie Chambers last week- who directed me to Americase, which made the cases that Chambers used to sell- Americase in turn no longer makes gun cases, but they directed me to Doug Hubbart who makes a similar case. Doug can be reached at 573-286-9905, and makes custom cases using a mix of metal and plastic. I didn't get a firm quote from him but sounds like a 65" case would be in the $500 dollar range; he does carpet lining, dividers, etc. This would probably be a very nice case but I went for the more expensive all-metal version from Kalispel because I've had good luck with that design in the past.

So to summarize: if you want a case longer than 62" that's good for airplane travel, the 3 options I've been able to find so far are the case from Crazy Crow (72", doesn't hold up well without additional reinforcement), a custom case from Kalispel, or a custom case from Doug Hubbart.

May make sense to move this to another part of the forum in case it's useful for other members looking for cases!

Thanks again all, I really appreciate the help. I'll try to post a picture of the Kalispel case when I get it.

Clint

Offline mjohnson

• Starting Member
If you could find an SKB case long enough, that is the way to go. in 2013 I flew Alaska Air to Fairbanks, AK for a hunting trip. I watched from my passenger seat my SKB cased Kimber Talkeetna rifle fall off the ramp to the tarmac ten feet below. Other than scratches to the case, the scoped rifle was undamaged. In camp, I checked my 100 yard zero and it was still perfect. Try that scenario with just about any other case on the market. Another suggestion is to remove the barrel from the stock. That will allow a shorter case. Just be sure to have both internally secured and padded within the case.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 09:03:15 PM by mjohnson »

Offline Ezra

We have a case company down the street - they make the cases for road shows - think amplifiers for rock bands etc - they do all custom work but unfortunately the quote came back at $1400 plus change to hold 2 long rifles. Now - they do quality work and the case would stand up to anything and it also had retractable wheels on one end due to its weight alone.

Do you have a name and contact information for this case company?   Thanks in advance.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Daryl

Re: Extra long hard-sided muzzleloader cases for airplane travel
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 07:15:24 PM »
I flew from B.C. to Ontario with a 9 1/2' 2-piece fly rod in it's tube having a belly for the reel. I took it as carry-on, as it would
fit in the overhead bins. My "trout" flies were "almost" confiscated as dangerous items - almost.
My "You can't be Serious?" got dark looks then they grudgingly allowed me to return them to my carry-on bag. That was about 2010.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 07:46:11 PM »
A wee smile comes on when I hear about any case being " baggage handler/ airline " proof.  I've seen too many expensive instruments , nestled in very expensive cases, damaged by these folks.  It may take a determined effort, but they seem to rise to the challenge  >:(

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 09:57:53 PM »
I used to manufacture and sell long lockable cases (Firelocker). The biggest problem my customers had was that it was too big to fit in a mid sized vehicle.
I had sized them for two longrifles, the cases were 72" x 12" x 3" foam lined with four keyed locks.
I advertised in Muzzleloader and had a few KRA customers that "spread the word" even sold some to the USMC to transport a couple of first model Bess muskets. I sold about 250 units and decided it was much more work than profit.
I had an instrument case company make me a couple of samples but their weight was a bit much.
I started using longbow cased made by Allen Mfg. Semi-soft sided but good enough protection for back of the truck.
I did find it amazing how well an airline could mangle the toughest cases.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2023, 10:40:28 PM »
I recall one of our members mentioning a plywood gun case that had been driven over by a forklift, more than one direction.
Is your plastic gun case, forklift proof?
I received a rifle from North Carolina, double packaged in cardboard, in perfect condition. I guess it depends on which air line?
This is that rifle - not a very skookum design:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:24:01 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 01:31:55 PM »
Anyone flying with a longrifle should be aware that merely having a plastic shell "hard case" won't necessarily protect your rifle.
During my time in Africa...I've seen folks use inexpensive brands of plastic shell cases to get their firearms there. Upon arrival, there was no apparent damage, HOWEVER...upon opening the case and inspecting the rifle it was apparent that their "hard case" had flexed enough in transit that the wrist of the rifle inside was broken.  When you're evaluating a case for flying your rifle(s) ask yourself this: if you put your fine longrifle inside then put the case on a couple of blocks at each end....are you comfortable jumping up onto the case..? If your answer is NO....find another case.
My Kalispel has no problem with that test, neither my custom wood and angle metal ( former) guitar case.
Americase passes this test also. FWIW...These are observations I've made, not magazine opinions or something "somebody told me" .
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2023, 12:19:12 AM »
I have two Americases.  I have used one for air travel.  You can see the damage to the corners where it was handled with "enthusiasm" but the rifle survived in good shape.  They are aluminum framed, foam filled, with hard plastic side panels.  Too bad to see they are no longer made.

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2023, 03:59:22 PM »
LONGRIFLE case pricing by Kalispel as of 01May23:

For a case that is 61”x11”x4” to give you a inside dimension of 60”x10”x4” would be $500 plus tax and shipping.

-If you would like roller transport wheels that is $15 extra.

-Powder coating options start at $80 these days.

Www.kalispelcaseline.net

We make each of our cases from .080 marine-type aluminum using heliarc welds and military spec hardware that's attached with closed rivets to add superior strength and increased security. Aluminum-milled feet provide maximum stability at the base, and most of our cases include a stainless-steel locking rod for additional protection. All of our cases are proudly made in the USA, and we back them with a free lifetime warranty.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 04:03:25 PM by Flint62Smoothie »