Author Topic: Ink procedure for horn scrim?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Ink procedure for horn scrim?
« on: April 22, 2023, 09:51:54 AM »
To this point I have used artist oil paint to color the scrim cuts.  It is sort of messy and I want to try ink.  The question is how you apply the ink?  Fine paint brush or fine point steel pen?  What Ink do you like best and what is used to clean up the excess.  Also what is used over it to preserve the ink?

Offline Frozen Run

Re: Ink procedure for horn scrim?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 02:10:01 PM »
If you are concerned about messiness or ease of application, you could try pencil:

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 06:19:04 PM »
TC Alberts presentation is well; worth a YouTube Bookmark, but how do you get the pencil dark enough?  He says #2 but it just doesn't present like ink.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2023, 08:00:31 PM »
You will get some spillover no matter how you apply the ink.  I have tried small q-tips, sharp sticks, very fine paint brush and always have cleanup to do at the end.  Fine steel wool works well to remove the spillover.  Aging a horn can fill the cuts also but may not make them as prominent, depending on what material you use to age the horn.

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 03:23:57 AM »
I pen India Ink into the scratches, using a fine nib calligraphy pen . Use a very sharp knife or similar thing to gently scratch away any ink that seeps outside your lines.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 03:36:50 AM by Bob Gerard »

Offline Richard clady

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 05:31:10 PM »
What a amazing work of art. How did you achieve that aged finished color.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 10:28:57 PM »
 I was a scrimshaw artist for several years, and I used India ink to fill my cuts in ivory. Later on when I started doing horns, I started using artist’s acrylics instead. The acrylic paint doesn’t run into the grain of the horn as badly as ink. That said I found I had to be more careful with the acrylic because it bonded to the surface of the horn more readily. Ink could just be wipe on, and then wiped off with 4/0 steel wool.

The best colorant for horn in opinion is a nice low simmer in a solution of yellow onion skins, and white vinegar. I’ve long believed this coloring of horns was as much for camouflage as it was for fashion. A white horn shines like a light bulb in a dark forest.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 05:02:31 AM »
Hungry Horse,  do you boil in the onion/vinegar mixture before scrim ink or after?

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 05:28:35 PM »
Jerry, I ink afterwards and am a lot more careful with the ink. I usually apply it and then wipe it right off. The coloring on the horn is primarily surface, so any heavy rubbing with steel wool will wear through it. I have coated a couple horns with artists acrylic clear semi-gloss.

Hungry Horse

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 05:47:37 PM »
Oh, and keeping the onion skin, and vinegar, solution as close to boiling as you can, without actually bringing it to a full rolling boil. This does take time. It’s been a few years since I used this method, but I think it took three or four hours. The color is outstanding, and it seems to repel the bugs. Good luck.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 08:28:44 AM »
Hungry Horse thank you for the information.  I have also overcoated a couple horns with  clear spray to preserve the finish and ink.  Have to experiment with the onion and vinegar.  I have been practicing with ink and have that part under control. 

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2023, 01:31:08 PM »
Can we see an example of Hungry Horse’s horns?

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 03:54:19 PM »
Can we see an example of Hungry Horse’s horns?
Wouldn't that be great?

You always seem to get great coloration, that excellent aged yellow and deep reddish-brown (or is it a brownish-red) always balance perfectly. Any tips or tricks?

Offline aaronc

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 04:17:17 AM »
I pen India Ink into the scratches, using a fine nib calligraphy pen . Use a very sharp knife or similar thing to gently scratch away any ink that seeps outside your lines.

That is some beautiful work Mr. Gerard.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline TDM

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2023, 06:07:51 AM »
I use a #4 pencil to highlight engravings. Haven’t graduated to ink yet, but the #4 holds up well.