Author Topic: "The Plainsman" my mystery rifle  (Read 2101 times)

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
"The Plainsman" my mystery rifle
« on: April 26, 2023, 05:41:19 PM »
I am ne to the forum, but have been an avid BP shooter since joining the Elk River Long Rifles in Tulklahoma, TN  as one of their "Charter" members back in 1968.  My first gun was "The Plainsman" reproduction I purchased from Dixie Gun Works way back when.  I recently ran across an older posting about the Plainsman Rifle made by Pedersoli in the early 70's but what I have is nowhere close.  The serial number on the barrel and tang are 3xx, with no other markings other than "The Plainsman" on top of the barrel.  Originally, it came in the familiar (ugly) blond-maple finish.  It is in .45 with an under-ribbed 1-inch barrel, standard trigger and no cheek piece.  It also has a pin instead of a wedge to hold the barrel in place.  About the only interesting feature is the pewter fore cap. I did re-finish the stock and added the brass toe-piece.   

If anyone has one of these or knows anything about its origin I would like to hear

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
Re: "The Plainsman" my mystery rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 10:04:49 AM »
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/7604105

This auction is closed long ago but the comments about the rifle may be what you are looking for.
It may be one made by Northstar? The owner, Curly Gostomski was well known for his trade guns.

the same info came up at the end of this thread on our boards here last year.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=70540.msg716960#msg716960
Tim A.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 10:19:25 AM by T.C.Albert »
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 03:57:48 PM »
Thank you so much.  The internet is good, AI may be up-and-coming, but real knowledge is hard to come by.  It was in fact pretty "hefty" as described in the link, especially for me when I was 14 or 15.  It's is also why I wasn't as good a shot off-hand as the other I would shoot with.  I did win a blanket match or two and was the only one who was able to snuff out a candle at 25 yds, but that was only because I was aiming high to keep from hitting the candle!  Life was better back then...

Online Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 04:43:41 PM »
Welcome to the site, TN Rifle, from a current member of the Elk River Long Rifles. As you see there is a wealth of info on the ALR forum.
As for ERLR, I've been a continuous member since the early 70s and cut my teeth on this wonderful way of life in Tullahoma.
A bunch of fine folks there which sparked my interest in traditional muzzle loading for the last 50+ years.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2023, 05:19:37 PM »
Thank you for the welcome.  Your name sounds familiar and you may actually remember me.  I was the young "kid" in the group, Carleton Edmunds.  I was in the ERLR when it began but left in 1972    because of school and a move to Nashville.  I am now in Knoxville and wish there was a similar group around here!

Online Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
I sent you a pm.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 09:51:39 PM »
It may be North Star or an import.If it shoots well for you and the lock is working then origin is not important.
Have you looked for foreign proof marks on the barrel> I think most European countries require them whereas
here in America the makers name on the barrel is used instead of mandated marks.
Bob Roller

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 02:35:09 AM »
Thanks Bob for your reply. 

The link T.C. Albert provided seems to have hit the mark and is just like what I have.  There are no other markings or proof marks on the barrel, only the inscription The Plainsman on top, and a serial number on the bottom of the barrel and tang.  It has been a good shooter and I have been able to keep it in good condition over the years.  It does appear to have been from North Star, who supplied Dixie Gun Works back in the late 1960s which fits exactly with the gun's history. 

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 05:14:05 AM »
Nice post, TN Rifle.  You've taken good care of that rifle.

I remember the "Plainsman" rifles in the Dixie Gun Works catalogs back in the sixties.  I believe Dixie provided a physical description of the rifle and a little spiel about plains rifles in general, with comments lifted out of Hanson's book. However, I don't remember Dixie mentioning who made the rifles.  In any event, it looks like a good, solid shooter.

I wanted one of those in a bad way when I was a teenager.  It's great that you got one, and that you still have it!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 07:47:04 PM »
Take the lock off and let's see the inside. I may be able to give an opinion as to origin and it could be a Robbins or a kit lock.
Bob Roer

Offline OLUT

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 12:43:45 AM »
Nice post, TN Rifle.  You've taken good care of that rifle.

I remember the "Plainsman" rifles in the Dixie Gun Works catalogs back in the sixties.  I believe Dixie provided a physical description of the rifle and a little spiel about plains rifles in general, with comments lifted out of Hanson's book. However, I don't remember Dixie mentioning who made the rifles.  In any event, it looks like a good, solid shooter.

I wanted one of those in a bad way when I was a teenager.  It's great that you got one, and that you still have it!

Notchy Bob

No, Dixie never mentioned who actually made these rifles for them. In their 1968 catalog, they sold for $119, with a Dixie.440 mold for an extra $4.95. Apparently  the stock was "hard cherry wood which is very pleasing to the eye". The selling point was that this rugged, heavy stocked gun "was made for severe usage on horseback, which included falling forcibly off said horse on occasions"

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 02:24:47 AM »
Thanks Notchy Bob, OLUT  and Bob Roller...

I remember going to sleep many a night looking at the Dixie Gun Works catalog, and probably the 1968 issue to boot!.  I am attaching a couple of photos of the lock.  Also, there are no markings on the barrel which measures 15/16 and .45 cal. I think I noted it as 1-inch in my original post.  Again, the only markings are a 3-digit number on the tang and underneath the barrel. There are no proof marks.  Thanks again for your help...

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 06:07:41 PM »
Not to hijack this thread, but when I saw it, it reminded me of one of my posts from 2014 about another "Plainsman" rifle.  Here is a link.....

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=32195.msg308652#msg308652
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 08:30:11 PM »
Thanks for the post davec2.  I think I ran across that link when I was searching the rifle I have... I was glad it led me to this forum! 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2023, 09:48:43 PM »
That is a very basic but looks to be a dependable lock with very simple construction.No name on it that I can see but a lot of older guns
had unmarked locks.
Bob Roller

Offline TN RIFLE

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 12:35:15 AM »
Thanks Bob for your input.  When I had the barrel off the stock I checked the drum and nipple for corrosion and noticed that the drum and nipple ended up about 10-15 degrees forward of the hammer when I snugged it back up.  I figure a thin washer between the drum and the barrel might work unless there is a better option.  Any ideas or guidance?

Thanks again,
TN Rifle