Author Topic: Name on gun  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Hrobert5

• Starting Member
Name on gun
« on: May 03, 2023, 03:17:38 PM »
First of all I’m new to the page. Thanks for letting me join. I am a gunsmith who normally works on modern weapons. However, I recently had a customer bring in what was obviously a very old long rifle he wanted “cleaned up” to pass down to his grandson. It is percussion, half stocked, and has a makers name on the top of the barrel. I wonder if anyone recognizes the name. Thanks for any help. I’m not being paid for this. Just doing a favor for an old friend of my dads.

Offline Longknife

Re: Name on gun
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »
Hrobert, welcome to the forum! If you could post more pictures of the rifle I'm sure someone could narrow down where it was made and possibly ID the maker....LK
Ed Hamberg

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 04:55:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Describe what you mean by "cleaned up" please. A 10K gun can be turned into a 1K gun quicker than you can say sandpaper.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Online brushyspoons

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 05:26:42 PM »
I am still new to longrifles so I’ll frame my post as a question rather than an answer: does that signature look like “Selvidge” to anyone else? One of his rifles is featured in Randall Pierce’s book and the script looks similar to my eyes.
Phil A.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 06:40:25 PM »
I am still new to longrifles so I’ll frame my post as a question rather than an answer: does that signature look like “Selvidge” to anyone else? One of his rifles is featured in Randall Pierce’s book and the script looks similar to my eyes.

Yes!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hrobert5

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 07:02:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Describe what you mean by "cleaned up" please. A 10K gun can be turned into a 1K gun quicker than you can say sandpaper.

I know what you mean. While I’m a novice in the muzzleloader arena I have tons of experience restoring cartridge guns. My normal go to is 4/0 steel wool and Breakfree. Doesn’t hurt the patina and cleans the barrel lock inlays and even gently applied the wood up really well.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 07:58:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I know what you mean. While I’m a novice in the muzzleloader arena I have tons of experience restoring cartridge guns. My normal go to is 4/0 steel wool and Breakfree. Doesn’t hurt the patina and cleans the barrel lock inlays and even gently applied the wood up really well.

Right now, “in the black” or “attic condition” flintlocks are preferred by collectors. Of course if it’s a $1500 original then any cleanup to pleases the owner is not a great loss in value (speaking heretically). A gun worth $3000 or more, it’s a consideration.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hrobert5

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 08:23:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Right now, “in the black” or “attic condition” flintlocks are preferred by collectors. Of course if it’s a $1500 original then any cleanup to pleases the owner is not a great loss in value (speaking heretically). A gun worth $3000 or more, it’s a consideration.

Unfortunately this one had been rained on and had a fair amount of rust.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 08:34:06 PM »
Stabilization is always a priority. Good luck with your project. If the owner gives permission we would love to see more pictures of the gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline AZshot

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 03:53:52 PM »
Yes, I'm among many here that would like to see the whole rifle.  At least the trigger guard, butt from 4 sides (top, bottom toe also), cheekpiece, and tang.  This helps us place it.

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 10:48:38 PM »
I would suggest trying denim and light oil on the metal parts before any grade of steel wool and commercial products like break free.  Same with wood clean up…..cloth and a wood product specific for fine furniture
Mike Mullins