Author Topic: "Blanket Gun?"  (Read 860 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
"Blanket Gun?"
« on: May 20, 2023, 11:46:46 PM »
Here's a shortened rifle with a lot of character and perhaps a few stories to tell.
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/PERCUSSION_RIFLE-LOT568288.aspx
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: "Blanket Gun?"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 12:05:32 AM »
Could have been a Western Trails gun. Many old rifles were altered for the trip to Oregon. Easier on horseback and perhaps a bit quicker to load. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Would be a good addition to any western collection.
Dick

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 12:23:57 AM »
What Dick said.  I remember we were all looking at a Joseph Angstadt rifle that was up on gunbroker within the past few years just like this - converted to percussion and barrel chopped into the mid 20s range iirc.  Consensus was that it was altered for use on horseback out west.  Pretty cool if you ask me.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 03:16:59 AM »
 Many of the North coast tribes lived in shelters the were dug out for about half of their depth. The same is true of some Athabaskan, and Eskimo, tribes. A long gun wouldn’t serve in these tight quarters, so many trappers, and traders, cut their longrifles down so they would.

Hungry Horse

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 03:04:54 PM »
Wow that’s cool
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 07:05:10 PM »
That rifle reminds me of my recently departed cut back S. Miller rifle.

John Robbins