Author Topic: D. Green Flint Pistol  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Steve Collward

D. Green Flint Pistol
« on: May 25, 2023, 02:51:22 AM »
Attached are some photos of a .40 cal. flint pistol marked "D. Green".  Does anyone know of this maker?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: D. Green Flint Pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 02:11:50 PM »
I am almost positive its Don Greene, my friend Larry aka Bluelight has several pistols, rifles made by Don Green of VA. I think Don passed away, I believe he lived near Staunton VA. Larry, and I just came back from an out of town trip and is now asleep (he's old and needs his rest ;D), when he gets up I will have him look and verify my thoughts.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 03:33:27 PM »
I am almost positive its Don Greene, my friend Larry aka Bluelight has several pistols, rifles made by Don Green of VA. I think Don passed away, I believe he lived near Staunton VA. Larry, and I just came back from an out of town trip and is now asleep (he's old and needs his rest ;D), when he gets up I will have him look and verify my thoughts.
Dennis

Larry says it was made by Don Greene and Don lived in Staunton.
Larry said most likely the barrel was made/rifled by Don. He said Don bought steel tubing then milled the flats, the rifled the barrel on a pistol rifling machine that he built. He also did the same for his rifle barrels. He hand built a stock carving machine and both the pistol and rifle rifling machines. Don was a machinists by trade and built guns as a side line. He also shot competively with Larry on the 1st Virginia  Volunteers at the north/south skirmish  Assoc in Winchester VA. Larry knew him for 25 yrs, he told me if you wanted to know more about Don to let me know and I will put in touch with him by phone.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 03:50:11 PM »
Don Greene on the left with Jim Hash about 1990.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 07:36:59 PM »