Author Topic: Centermark history?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Brokennock

Centermark history?
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:06:13 PM »
Maybe this doesn't belong in this section, if not, please advise where to put it.

A recent discussion with a couple people prompted some questions regarding Centermark, their gun options and company history. Putting aside the inaccuracies of their rendition of a Fusil des Chase, can anyone provide a history of the company (my limited understanding is that it was basically one guy over multiple ownerships) and their guns?
How were their guns initially sold, could they be ordered with different options or did Centermark just make them and put them up for sale, or both? Given that I see Centermark guns with different woods and slightly different furniture options as well as different gauge barrels, we were wondering how these differences were presented.

I have one that I bought used, as do a couple friends, not sure I know anyone who bought one straight from Centermark to ask them about.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Bigmon

Re: Centermark history?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:33:53 PM »
Some years back, maybe 25 or 30 years I went to the home of A guy, I believe his name was Ray Woodall near Appollo Pa.  In his basement I ordered one in curly maple finished in the white, in brass hardware.
At that time you could get different variations ie: the wood type, the hardware metal, degree of finish done.
I think they were all 20 ga.
He and Anthony Pedro ?? something were working in a low basement.  Seemed low to me at 6'2 but maybe not really so bad??
I will try and come up with a more firm date, but no promoses.
I know a man in Somerset that has an early Centermark that may be from that era

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 04:06:49 AM »
Thank you Bigmon.
You touched on another part of my questions that I forgot to ask. Wete they offered as kits?

I bought mine sometime around 2011 I think, from Mike Shea who was out in New Mexico or Arizona at the time. I dint think he was the 1st owner either. I found this under the buttplate when I first took the gun apart,

Would like to locate info on this gentleman as well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 03:09:17 AM by Brokennock »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 01:30:57 PM »
I remember their ads in MB magazine by the mid to late 1980s I believe.  I know sometime in the late 1980s, maybe 87, I bought a tulle kit from them.  Might have been a year or two later but I think it was 87.  I know for certain that I sold it (the completed gun that I had worked over probably 3 or 4 times) in Feb or March of 1992.  They used good quality parts and despite being a little hefty in terms of excess wood - especially down the forearms - they functioned pretty well.  Later in the 90s a friend had one that he had gotten as a completed gun and I worked that over for him, removing and reshaping quite a bit of forearm wood.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 10:58:05 PM »
  I'm pretty sure Wayne has a Facebook page I'd I remember correctly.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 05:00:30 AM »
I bought one in the white from Ray Woodall in the eighties and it got burned up in a house fire I got lucky and found one in a pile of parts and a Centermark Tulle the white in the late nineties off a blanket  to replace it

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 04:55:24 PM »
Weren't people involved with OLD ALLEGAHNY involved with centermark, or were they the opposition for a while.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tfornicola

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 12:17:40 AM »
I made and sold precarved Tulle stocks to Ray Woodall- Centermark- July 1985 to December 1988 when I sold my stock business. Most stocks were Maple and a few Walnut. That is all I could find in my old records. Tom

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2023, 09:23:48 PM »
Back in the 80's a few friends and I ordered 5 kits. All were 20 ga. I don't remember ever seeing anything other than 20 ga. We all ordered iron hardware. I do remember a mix of maple and walnut wood.
Mine was damaged in shipment and Ray Woodall was great in replacing the damaged barrel. All kits were completed and were shot for years. They used Davis locks as I remember. Great guns. Then later on I remember some controversy with ownership of the company and did not know what happened but they kind of faded away after that. My dealings with Ray was exceptional. He even called personally to make sure the replacement barrel  showed up in good shape.
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2023, 12:43:45 AM »
A big Thank You to all those who have replied so far. I think I'm getting a decent picture of what they made and how they were sold. I'm still a little vague on a couple things,,, but then seems like more and more lately I'm vague on a lot.

Is Ray still around or has he passed on?

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 12:45:19 AM »
  I'm pretty sure Wayne has a Facebook page I'd I remember correctly.
Wayne Stormer? Do you know him or communicate with him?
I don't have Facebook, would like to get in touch with him. I have a little trepidation about using the phone number after all these years.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 02:51:37 AM »
After Centermark left pennsylvania, moved to Fredonia NY  around mid 90's
Ray Woodall and Anthony Palazeski did engraving & finishwork
Old' Allegeny Rifle Works was just outside Pittsburgh
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 10:26:14 PM »
Paul Siebert (spelling?) I believe was the most recent owner.  I think it's been a few years since they've put anything out.  If memory serves he did a couple of options like a grenadier model and even a fowling piece.  Most were done in maple but he did a few in Walnut.
 Last I'd heard he was considering selling his equipment.  Pete Allen made the components for that Davis lock and when he stopped, they lost their lock source.  I always liked those guns and I sure wish I'd picked one up when I had the chance. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2023, 04:00:59 AM »
Thank you for the reply Mr. Bruce.
I do see these guns come up for sale here and there a fee times a year.
I wish I could get a spare lock for mine (missed out on one all polished and ready to go here a few years ago) or at least some spare parts/springs.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2023, 07:45:28 PM »
There was some talk that Pete’s son or maybe nephew might be doing locks  or casting parts again but I don’t know how true that is.  I always liked that lock. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling