Author Topic: Cataracts lens choice help  (Read 844 times)

Offline teakmtn

Cataracts lens choice help
« on: June 03, 2023, 01:38:10 AM »
My eyesight has been getting progressively worse over the last year. My dominate right eye sees the front sight doubled over under. Kinda like the eye chart where the O looks like and 8. My left eye is perfect except for reading where I wear a 200 correction.
Visited my Opthalmologist  yesterday and I have cataracts that could require surgery. Eyes aren't terrible quite yet except for shooting.
My question to you folks is, those that have had cataract surgery, what type of replacement lens did you find best for all around vision with an emphasis on shooting, target and hunting? My choices have been narrowed down to fixed distance or a type of adjustable lense.
Any advice is very appreciated. Cheers, Doug T.

Offline Frank

Re: Cataracts lens choice help
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 01:48:16 AM »
I had both eyes done last year. Left eye is for close up and right eye is for distance. Don't need glasses at all. I am right-handed and the sights on my long rifle are crisp and clear.

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 05:25:55 PM »
Good luck! Keep us posted, I have cataract surgery scheduled later this year.
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »
I had both eyes done back in 2008. I went with an adjustable lense and one eye set for distance and the other for close up. I still don't need glasses after 15 years.

My advise get your eyes set for where you live. This means if you use a computer all day you might want something different than if you work outside all day. The other advise and this is important...get a written estimate of what it's going to cost you. I paid twice because my surgeon was dishonest and said I only had to pay him. He then didn't pay the hospital and I had to pay them also. :o
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline wmrike

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 05:16:29 PM »
If there is a watchword, it is compromise.  Be ready to compromise.  Old folks understand the concept better than the young.  And nothing will match a young eye, so understand that there is no magical total solution when it comes to lens replacement.

Go for the standard, fixed focal length lenses.  The adjustable lenses have a good sales pitch, but the back side is a reduced field of view and they don't always work as well as advertised.  Others have suggested getting one (fixed) lens tuned for distance and the other for reading.  That works really well for a lot of people.

Factoid.  My ophthalmologist says that 83% of lens replacements deliver 20/40 vision or better.  Think about that for a minute.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 12:53:40 AM »
This topic is extremely interesting to me right now. Next week I meet with the ophthalmologist to make the selection of replacement lenses in my upcoming cataract surgery. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.
Along with the cataracts he discovered while trying to figure out why I don’t see very well, he informed me that I have glaucoma in both eyes as well.
Wish me luck… 🤪
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline flembo

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 01:14:56 AM »
I don't know what is meant by adjustable lens. I had both eyes done this past fall and I chose the multi focal lens over the mono lens and am very happy. My sights are very clear and distance vision is great. I no longer wear glasses but do keep a pair of 1.25 drugstore readers around for low light or certain print such as pill bottles. I agree not quite like I had when young but I am happy. That's no different then Hearing aids they sure help but not perfect. Just think you can get new knees, shoulders and hips, I think it is amazing what they can do.

Offline teakmtn

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 09:04:53 PM »
Thank you fellas for the advice. Still a difficult decision as my vision is still pretty good except for the vertical double vision on my right/shooting eye. But I know it's going to slowly get progressively worse. My occupation is I'm a commercial boat captain and I'd hate to have to wear glasses all the time as salt spray is constant and dirty glasses are a drag. Almost retired.
I don't spend a lot of time needing close up vision and when I do I don't mind wearing reading glasses.Currently leaning towards the fixed for distance lenses.  My biggest worry is getting the surgery and it's not perfect and having to wear glasses for distance all the time.
Thanks again for the replies and any additional experiences are appreciated.
Doug T.