Author Topic: Chasing Shreckengost history.  (Read 705 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Chasing Shreckengost history.
« on: June 04, 2023, 03:04:12 AM »
Target site engraved with “ William G Shreckengost , November 18, in the year 1892, Putneyville, PA”. He died less than two years later. None of his other rifles, and I’ve seen 80 of them, are engraved in this manner.  I believe this to be his statement who was I.  when did I finish?  Where did I work?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 05:17:56 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Chasing Shreckengost history.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 05:03:31 AM »
Nice bit of history, Rob.  What was it on? I don’t think you need that first “c” after the “S” in his last name :D

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 05:20:22 AM »
It came from his great grandson who did not know where the rifle went but he made 2 other rifles with this type of sight and they were both fancy heavy halfstock target rifles.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 06:12:21 AM »
That is a great find.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 06:54:43 PM »
What a great find for you. It's a neat piece to add to your collection and family history. Thank you for sharing it .   Jim
JIM

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 08:15:59 PM »
It's still in the family, right Rob? That is an incredible find and stands on it own for the fine work exhibited in and on the piece. Thank you for showing it here. Someday you will probably find the rifle it came from. Good luck!!!
Dick

Offline onthehillbill

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 01:58:23 AM »
Rob, Super sweet find!!

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 05:47:31 PM »
Rob,

The horse shoe strikes again - Nice find.

Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 12:58:25 AM »
I appreciate all the nice comments. It deserves to be seen, so I’ll have it at KRA and the Brookville Show. The other descendant who collects these rifles said he’d rather have it than another rifle and I have the same thought.