Author Topic: Look familiar to anyone?  (Read 668 times)

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Look familiar to anyone?
« on: June 08, 2023, 03:07:07 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place for this so mods, feel free to move if needed.
I had an elderly neighbor lady pull me over last week to show me some “stuff” that belonged to her grandfather who was born and raised in Indiana County, PA. She has an old SxS 12 bore cap lock shotgun that is in pretty poor condition but she also has a longrifle! It’s a bit of a mystery to me because of the stock shaping and hardware. It appears it was converted from flint to cap and there’s a crack through the lock plate area, all the way through. It’s got hints of a southern gun and at the same time it’s got some Lancaster like hardware. The barrel is signed but I can’t make it out. Please excuse the poor pics, I didn’t get to spend a lot of time there. I am going to try and get some better photos. Here goes:

stretching emojis

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
Re: Look familiar to anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 03:09:54 AM »
It’s odd to me because there’s no cheek piece. Just rounded over like the patch box side. There’s engraving on the trigger guard and but plate. The nose cap is missing. I’m guessing it’s a .38-.40 cal.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 03:13:50 AM »
I am pretty sure that is a relatively recent assemblage of old parts with the barrel being the best of them. I seriously doubt it has anything with who "made" the gun. The workmanship is crude at best and that is a bar action lock, probably from a shotgun. That lock was never a flintlock.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 03:21:57 AM »
I believe that this is a restocked nice older barrel and some parts. The hand that engraved the barrel is a much more experienced hand than the one that stocked the barrel.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 03:25:42 AM »
I felt that it could be a mish mash of assemblage as well. It almost looks as if the stock was painted and the triggers really threw me. They look like they would belong on a southern rifle.

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 05:11:40 AM »
Does that barrel signature look familiar to anyone? I know it’s rough to see and if I’m able too I was thinking of maybe trying to get a rub onto some paper if it’s deep enough.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 05:26:46 AM »
Is the signature B J Kaugh?

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 05:47:55 AM »
Is the signature B J Kaugh?

That’s about as good as I can make out.