Author Topic: LION BECK TRIBUTE  (Read 1974 times)

Offline t.caster

LION BECK TRIBUTE
« on: June 15, 2023, 08:01:48 PM »
I just finished up my tribute to J.P. Beck's famous "Lion Beck" rifle. I've wanted to try this one since my beard was still red. It is certainly not a copy, for I took a few liberties with it as you can see. It started 1 1/2 ago in my spare time with a preshaped & inlet curly maple stock with a Getz .62 cal x 47 1/4" long oct/rnd 66:1 rifled barrel and a Chambers Deluxe Siler, I bought on this site. In between I built an Isaac Haines .54 cal., a New England 28 ga. Fowler and a 16 ga. Cherry British Fowler from blanks.
This has a light pull single trigger, brass furniture, sliding wood patchbox with sterling silver wire inlay surround and a couple German silver inlays. It has a 13 5/8" pull, 3 3/8" drop, 63" long and weighs a nice handling 8.2 lbs. Barrel is retained by 4 keys. Lots of Beck style carving and colored golden like the original.
I can't wait to shoot this newest "Caster Blaster"!
Sorry I only have my $80 cellphone camera.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 08:07:32 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Preacher Dave

• Starting Member
Re: LION BECK TRIBUTE
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 08:08:59 PM »
Very impressive! I looked at the pictures and then went through them several more times, each pass seeing some additonal element of your build. I can't imagine how many hours you have in this, but the final product is very nice.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 08:45:12 PM »
Thanks. There are a ton of big and subtle little "details" to this build! I should have kept track of hours, but then I was in no hurry.
Tom C.

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 08:47:45 PM »
Great job, Tom! Just fantastic work. Beautiful carving and I like how you kept the stain accurate with the original. Let us know how she shoots!

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 08:53:52 PM »
BTW, this is not my first lion rifle. I built this "Lion Rampant" Peter Angstat, Macungie Twp  .45 cal a couple years ago!

Tom C.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 09:39:06 PM »
Some rifles just speak to you. I really like it!  It has that period carving and engraving that give it the look of an original.  Enjoy it.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 01:00:07 AM »
Nice job for sure, on Both of the rifles!
John
John Robbins

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 01:07:58 AM »
  Welcome Tom....this is one beautiful rife indeed...!

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 01:58:15 AM »
Man that is nice!!  Love the way the carving flows from the wrist to below the cheek to the lions tail.  Very well done. 

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 02:01:14 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous. Estimate of hours to finish?

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 04:59:35 PM »
Hank, ??? It was pre inlet and shaped by Dave Rase, so that probably saved 40 hrs of my time.  I would guess I spent at least 200 hrs.
Tom C.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 10:56:28 PM »
The inletting is flawless and that made these riles what they are...OUTSTANDING! The double head birds have always interested me and one of the Germans said it couldn't figure out what to do or where to go with either head so it fouled the nest and stayed put.I doubt that was the intent but the inletting  is great.Did you keep track of the hours in one of these rifles??
Bob Roller 

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 12:38:28 AM »
Hank, ??? It was pre inlet and shaped by Dave Rase, so that probably saved 40 hrs of my time.  I would guess I spent at least 200 hrs.

Wow! A precarved stock does save lots of time. Still, i was thinking close to 400 hours considering the quality of workmanship. You do good work!

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 01:08:54 AM »
Tom, Both rifles are carved very nicely and very wel done overall. Thanks for sharing your pictures .

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 09:39:32 PM »
Loving this one Tom!

Offline TDM

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »
Wow! Very impressive work. Both are beautiful.

Online Algae

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2023, 04:45:43 AM »
I think you knocked this one out of the park!!
Very nice!

Al J.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 06:58:17 PM »
Thanks for all the nice  comments, it gives us old guys a lot of encouragement to keep going!
Tom C.

Offline sbowman

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2023, 11:31:53 PM »
My thoughts emulate everyone else's, Well Done! Question---I believe you said somewhere you have built several-8? Beck style rifles and am wondering if a 3 and 3/8 drop at heel is typical for his rifles? also would like to know which castings you are using on your Becks. A Beck is on my bucket list and I'm in early stages of planning. I'm planning on using a Rice Beck profile barrel and either a Dale Johnson or Chambers golden age lock. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Steve

Offline t.caster

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2023, 04:27:57 PM »
My thoughts emulate everyone else's, Well Done! Question---I believe you said somewhere you have built several-8? Beck style rifles and am wondering if a 3 and 3/8 drop at heel is typical for his rifles? also would like to know which castings you are using on your Becks. A Beck is on my bucket list and I'm in early stages of planning. I'm planning on using a Rice Beck profile barrel and either a Dale Johnson or Chambers golden age lock. That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Steve

Steve,
That 3 3/8" drop is typ. to fit me with a 13 5/8 +/_ pull. I can't speak to Beck's originals, but I don't think it is far off proportionally. I get most my castings from TOtW, or MBS, they have a few choices in the Beck style, although most are backordered, so shop around.
When they say "Beck profile" barrel, I would contend not all Beck barrels had the same profile depending on caliber. But that profile was taken dimensionally from one particular rifle of course. This length and caliber might be a little outrageous for most shooters, but I think it's a hoot!
When building for a customer I go with the caliber, profile and length they want if it is kosher with the style/school of rifle requested.
Both locks you mention are good and I used a Chambers Deluxe Siler and modified the tail of the plate a little. Look closely.
Good luck with your build and ask questions as you go.
Tom C
Tom C.

Offline sbowman

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2023, 12:37:06 AM »
Tom, thanks for the reply and insights.  Here's where I'm at.  I too plan to build a rifle that fits me and not necessarily copy any individual rifle, but still capture "Becks lines". I also want to keep the weight down, that's why I'm think the Beck profile barrel, in 58 plus it has a 1inch breech which will keep the gun slim in the wrist and breech area yet get close to an original Beck. A  b weight 42 inch in 54 is also an option for what I want. I've got no problem with using a longer barrel as you did but for me their a pain in the butt-lol- to load compared to a 40 or 42 inch.I've got a Getz 62 virginia profile on hand I've had for years but its too heavy for what I want. I'm mostly concerned about getting the comb line profile right but think I can figure it out using pictures of his rifles(looking at RCA 100 and 101) and my geometry skills. Once I get to the drawing stage I'll know for sure. I'll do minimal carving and use either the whale tail box or the one on RCA 101, for which I have access to a pattern.  I don't engrave but am in Indianapolis and  a couple of good engravers are within a half days drive or less. Finally probably make this rifle my project for this coming winter.

Thanks again Steve

Offline t.caster

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2023, 01:48:06 AM »
Sounds like you have several barrel options. A number of Beck's barrels were 43" long.
I have several patterns and pb templates, if you want to make a 4 hr. trip up to Michigan.

Tom C
Tom C.

Offline sbowman

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2023, 12:18:18 AM »
Tom, I appreciate the offer but I'm good to go for now.

Steve