Author Topic: Who does jug chocking.  (Read 1947 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
Who does jug chocking.
« on: June 21, 2023, 07:27:54 PM »
I have shot several turkeys with my smooth barrel on my swivel breach gun but I usually wait for them to get within 20 yds. or less.  I have had to pass on many that were at thirty yds. that would not come in any closer.
Both barrels are 54 cal., one smooth the other rifled. The smooth barrel is cylinder bore  and I have worked up a load that shoots fair out to 20 yds, so I am looking for someone who could jug choke two new barrels for me.

David Price

Offline Levy

Re: Who does jug chocking.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 09:44:10 PM »
I believe that Rice sells a jug choked 16 ga. barrel that is made from 4140 steel (I own one).  Caywood used to jug-choke barrels and they did one for me and a gentleman on the ALR did a twelve gauge barrel for me some years back. James Levy
James Levy

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 01:11:59 AM »
Danny Caywood has done 4 or 5 barrels for me. Great job on all an fast turn around
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »
Danny Caywood did one for me, fast turnaround and the pattern was greatly improved out to 30-35 yds

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 04:41:31 PM »
Wattlebuster
Can you give me Danny Caywood's phone number.  You can call me on my phone if you would like.
I would really like to get those two barrels jug choked.
David Price

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 04:51:28 PM »
Sorry, I didn't include my phone number.  It is 603 491 3341
If there is anyone else that might know someone that could do the job, please let me know.
David Price

Offline m. reaver

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 05:46:07 PM »
As of last year, Lowell Tennyson was still doing jug chokes.

If you can't find his contact info on the ALR site, pm me.

mark

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 06:19:22 PM »
If it’s done on a lathe, a swivel breech may be challenging?
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 07:37:45 PM »
RICH
I have two new barrels that have not been put together yet.  If I can get it done I will mount them on a new swivel plate so I can change them whenever I choose.  The only time I would want them would be for turkey season.

David Price
Clever! Sounds like a great plan! (Rich accidentally modified your post instead of replying. Bad eyes and fat fingers!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:04:56 PM by rich pierce »

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 09:51:08 PM »
Lowell Tennyson 209 E Lotte St. Blue Grass IA. 52726 563-381-3711

He has done several for me with great results.  I heard he is still doing it although he might be retired now.  I believe Mike Brooks uses him as well.
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 11:18:52 PM »
Wattlebuster
Can you give me Danny Caywood's phone number.  You can call me on my phone if you would like.
David Price

Sorry I didnt see this sooner
Danny Caywood of Caywood gunmakers 870-423-4471
Danny is a one man show so he may not get to the phone when you call. Leave him a message an your number he will call you back
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Jerry

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 01:29:13 PM »
Wattlebuster
David Price
Danny Caywood (870)423-4741
18 Kings Hill Estates
Berryville, AR, 72616

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2023, 02:50:50 PM »
Jerry
Thank you so much for noticing the number I had was wrong.  I will call Danny Caywood tomorrow.

David Price

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 03:25:10 PM »
Sorry bout that David. recon im going blind too ???

Offline Jerry

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 01:38:12 PM »
Jerry
Thank you so much for noticing the number I had was wrong.  I will call Danny Caywood tomorrow.

David Price
Best time to contact Danny is in the evenings. Jerry

Offline Harleysboss

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 10:00:57 PM »
I also had Caywood jug choke a 12 ga underhammer barrel. He does nice work and I am very satisfied with the outcome. If Caywood doesn't work on that small of a barrel (54cal) let me know. I just had a Kibler 58cal smoothbore barrel done by Sandcreek Gunworks, Wells KS. Leland Davis. I have not tested it yet. The gun is still in progress. I did see the results of his work on a different website and spoke to the owner of the gun and he was very happy with the improvement for shot patterns. He provided me with his info.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2023, 03:10:24 AM »
Thank you all for the names of people that do jug chocking. I contacted all of them, and they all said the same thing.  They could not do a bore as small as 54 cal.  I ended up calling Bailey Mfg. in Houston TX. and they are going to install a screw in choke tube.  I am getting three different tubes for each barrel. One extreme full choke, one full choke . and one modified.  The tubes will be cut off flush with the end of the barrels so it won't change the look of the gun.  They are also going to cut the barrels down to 28 inches from 32 inches. They also said I would have them back in three or four weeks.

When I try them out I will post the results.

David Price

Offline bobw

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2023, 05:57:06 PM »
Do you mean Briley?  Or is ther a Bailey doing the same work in Houston?  I have more modern sxs guns (100 years old) with Briley tubes and they are great.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 02:58:53 AM »
Bobw
You are correct, the name is Briley Mfg.   Thank you for correcting me.  I am glad to hear you are satisfied with them.  I hope I haven't ordered too tight a choke .  I just want it for turkey hunting.  My swivel breech gun will have rifle sights on both barrels so I will be able to aim very precise.  As I mentioned before I will post the test results.  This should be a fun project.

David Price

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 08:25:13 PM »
Sounds like a fun gun, David. Are the Briley Chokes, a jug-choke if standard.
If standard, you might find the extra full will be difficult to load with fiber or card wads, but the felt wads might just make that job easier.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline David G

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 09:38:10 PM »
Daryl, those chokes should be threaded to the barrels and interchangeable. So he could even get a cylinder choke to load thru and then change out to a tighter constriction.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2023, 03:25:44 AM »
Daryl,
The Briley choke is not a jug choke.  It is a regular screw in choke and different choke tubes will screw rate in.
I normally use a felt wad over powder,  and bees nest for over shot, so loading should not be a problem.  If worse comes to worse, as Dave G said, I can just screw the choke part of the choke out while loading.  Normally you don't get more than one shot at a turkey and if I do I always have my second barrel.  You are right, this will be a fun project.  I will definitely post the pictures of the results.

David Price

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2023, 03:55:34 AM »
Going the screw in choke route will probably give you more versatility than a jug choke anyway. Good choice.
Eat Beef