Author Topic: Coloring Damascus  (Read 1406 times)

Offline jmf

Coloring Damascus
« on: June 22, 2023, 04:37:41 AM »
I was getting an old SxS that had some rust scrubbed off the damascus barrels and wanted to refinish the barrels to look fairly good, and show the twist pattern. Its a Birmingham build so nothing too valuable, but its in decent condition. How would you go about this?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Coloring Damascus
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 09:07:57 AM »
Perhaps some info contained in this old thread may help a bit.   8)
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=46068.msg452809#msg452809

Curtis
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 08:25:39 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:27:40 AM »
I was getting an old SxS that had some rust scrubbed off the damascus barrels and wanted to refinish the barrels to look fairly good, and show the twist pattern. Its a Birmingham build so nothing too valuable, but its in decent condition. How would you go about this?

Strip off all the old browning of the barrels down to the bare metal .Degrease the barrels  with a decrease ,household Vim is good , wash  the barrels under running water , dry and apply a cold brown solution , do not use a hot browning it is for iron or steel barrels .  Let the barrels stand for 12 hours until a good rust has evolve red remove the rust using steel wool  do not touch the barrels  with your bare hand  apply another coat of browning and stand another 12 hours . Repeat this process until the decided colour is reached  remove the rust and dip the barrels in a bath  mixture of warm water and log wood chips this water must only be warm and  and not too hot  because too hot will turn the barrels black Dry the barrels and apply a coat of pure beeswax  when cooled polish with a clean linen cloth
Feltwad

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 12:23:15 PM »
Coloring twist barrels can be accomplished using any one of several different processes. The color you want dictates which process to use. Cold chemicals whether brown or blue often do not end up being the right color for twist barrels.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 03:23:33 PM »
Dave Person has explored achieving various looks on Damascus barrels. Hopefully he will chime in or I’ll be able to find and provide links.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jmf

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 04:26:33 PM »
I appreciate all the tips.
  Feltwad, your method sounds fairly easy to do, vs the 15-20 passes I’ve read about on here. I’m thinking that would sure be worth trying.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 06:45:51 PM »
This is the damascus lock plate I made and colored with Ferric Chloride etchant diluted 4 water to 1 FeCl.  Immersed in solution until colors developed (rather quickly).  I'm sure if used with a browning solution one could develop other colors.  I was going for a French gray look.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 08:16:25 PM »
I appreciate all the tips.
  Feltwad, your method sounds fairly easy to do, vs the 15-20 passes I’ve read about on here. I’m thinking that would sure be worth trying.
This is the method I have used for the past 60 plus years on all types of Damascus  including iron barrels
Feltwad

Offline LynnC

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 12:43:20 PM »
Hi Feltwad,

What grade of steel wool do you prefer?  I am assuming it is free of any preserving oil.

And what is the purpose of the logwood chip bath. Does it stop the rusting process or ?

Thanks for the education.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 12:50:57 PM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 01:22:40 PM »
Hi Feltwad,

What grade of steel wool do you prefer?  I am assuming it is free of any preserving oil.

And what is the purpose of the logwood chip bath. Does it stop the rusting process or ?

Thanks for the education.

I use the medium grade of steel wool  has for the logwood chips they enhance the pattern in the  barrels  Damascus or iron .If rust shows  a mixture  warm water and a spoonful of soda crystals and dip the barrels and wash of with clean water and dry  while the barrels are still warm apply the beeswax
Feltwad

how to add pictures in ebay description
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 01:37:46 PM by Feltwad »

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 02:17:05 AM »
Thank you sir for the explanation. I have a couple barrels i would like to try this refinishing on.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline wormey

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 04:45:37 AM »
Check Youtube.  Midway, USA has a good video on refinishing Damascus doubles.  Wormey

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 08:27:36 AM »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline jmf

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 06:52:31 PM »
Thank you Curtis, You sure turned that barrel around. I’ve noticed another thread of yours about refinishing damascus too. I can certainly see that you have the process down pat. Your posts sharing your tecniques are much appreciated.