Author Topic: My Swedish Kruttyg/ shooting bandolier.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

My Swedish Kruttyg/ shooting bandolier.
« on: June 30, 2023, 07:41:09 AM »
I always thought it was funny how much stuff some people brought on a rifle trail. I've seen some bags and horns that together probably weighed 15lbs, and that just seems silly. 
I saw these original Swedish Kruttyg, and was immediately enamoured.
It's a very simple and efficient bandolier that you throw on, grab your rifle, and you've got everything you need, and nothing you don't.
This is my version, with everything placed efficiently that I need to fire 30 shots on a trail or shoot. It is nice and lightweight, and doesn't get in the way.
Mine has an adjustable powder measure, flat horn that holds just enough 3f powder to prime and load 30 shots, a ball bag, a pouch that holds a tin with patches, and a flint/tool wallet.
The flint wallet holds 3 flints, a multitool, a jag, ball puller, tin of grease and some cleaning patches.
 I'll probably put on a short starter too.
I'm headed to a rendezvous tomorrow, so we'll see how it does on the trail.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: My Swedish Kruttyg/ shooting bandolier.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 02:55:43 PM »
Yours looks better. Less dangly and tangly. A lady shooter on our local woods walks made a vest with 2 large, deep, open top pockets in front and keeps most of her stuff right there. No bag, no flap. Whatever becomes “automatic” is efficient.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 03:40:13 PM »
 Neat Pix.

Tim C.

Offline TDM

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 08:07:45 PM »
Everything you need and nothing you don't. Nice.

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 04:30:39 PM »
So how did the rig work out for you?

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 07:41:45 AM »
It worked great. I do need to either add a ball starter loop or use smaller balls/patches.

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 03:55:41 PM »
I guess it depends where you hunt. I wouldn't use a rig like that in the Sonoran Desert. Or almost anywhere in the Midwest. But it would probably work out in the Ponderosa's.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 09:20:16 PM »
Why not in the desert or Midwest?

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 03:25:22 PM »
For starters everything in the Sonoran desert has thorns of one kind or another. All those dangling accoutrements are bound to get grabbed by Mesquite, Ocotillo, any of 150 varieties of Cholla, not to mention the dreaded Catclaw.
The Midwest United States is a rain forest. Anywhere where the land isn't cleared for agriculture the vegetation is quite thick and full of vines. There is a steep hill in Kentucky where a few friends and I have done period correct hunts. We have more than a dozen garters and variety of dangling accoutrements scattered over that hill. If you intend to keep it don't dangle it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass