Author Topic: Relics of J P Beck  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Relics of J P Beck
« on: July 04, 2023, 07:44:21 PM »
An early restock, it had a Dickert barrel in it.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:39:28 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Relics of J P Beck
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 09:47:50 PM »
A little TLC and it'll look good as new!
Happy 4th!
John

Ps. You're rifle? And where did you find it? ;-)
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 10:24:03 PM »
Maybe more than little😁  got it from a friend here. He got it many years ago at a local gun shop.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 12:30:50 AM »
Cool! Does look early, wonder how wide the butt plate is. How do you know it was not a dickert? Kind of looks like the rear of the trigger guard had a screw originally (plugged hole)? And did you get the sideplate and pipes with it? You sure it s a restock? Sometimes stocks were later “modernized”.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 12:33:55 AM by DaveM »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 12:53:53 AM »
Buttplate 1 7/8 wide. Patchbox is Beck. Not sure it was restocked I’ve nothing but pics to compare. Stock is very old. No cheek piece. I didn’t get the pipes

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 12:58:21 AM »
Note the off center patchbox lid catch.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 01:16:46 AM »
Any plans for a restoration...or is there not enough left other than what we see in the photos to make it reasonable and worthwhile?

Offline lexington1

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 04:51:04 AM »
 Relic, restock, whatever, it's still pretty cool.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 05:13:32 AM »
Any plans for a restoration...or is there not enough left other than what we see in the photos to make it reasonable and worthwhile?
   I’m undecided at this time. Someone with a signed Beck barrel has reached out to me. A signed lock would move this toward restoration

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 08:44:36 PM »
Trigger and plate

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 09:27:57 PM »
Is there any forearm left on it?
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 08:23:27 PM »
Interesting trigger.  That's the second one I've seen this week that had parallel sides and a square end to the shoe.  That's a feature I've never noticed before, and I've always thought triggers were rounded on the tip so that's the way I've made mine.  Live (pay attention) and learn.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 09:56:50 PM »
That square end of the trigger is a characteristic of J P Beck and N Beyer.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 10:13:53 PM »
Is there any forearm left on it?
The forearm is still there John But just passed the ramrod entry pipe. Everything is gone.

Offline Jdbeck

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 07:09:19 PM »
Patch box, trigger, and trigger plate all are indicative of Lebanon School.

That patchbox I’ve seen on 3 JP Beck signed rifles and 1 Christian Beck from the Kindig collection.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 04:17:17 PM by Jdbeck »