Author Topic: Asking for advice regarding pattern for mainspring for Alex Henry lock  (Read 421 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
I'm planning to make the spring from 1075, 1/8" thick stock. The pattern is drawn in Qcad and all the dimensions are in millimeters. Should I adjust any of the dimensions or shapes?
I've also added a picture with the paper pattern laid on the lock.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Bob Roller

THAT looks GOOD.I always tapered the upper limb AFTER it was forged and be sure the closure is tight.What you are doing will work and I hope my explanation yesterday made at least a little sense.Showing and explaining,VAST be the gulf that separates them.After it's forged and flat,make and install the link in the tumbler arm.Rotate the tumbler arm to the FULL cocked position and place the spring on the link and mark the place where the pin will go and drill it with whatever drill is appropriate and then,heat and open the spring until it's about 6mm below the link in the lowest and fully extended length and a curve in the lower limb as well as the upper and this will be determined by experimentation.     Harden the spring,temper it and install it and see what you have by slowly flexing it while connected to the tumbler by
lighly securing the square shank in a vise and rotating the lock plate.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:52:51 AM by Bob Roller »