Author Topic: attribution of this halfstock ....  (Read 1374 times)

Offline monro1066

attribution of this halfstock ....
« on: July 25, 2023, 04:34:39 AM »

What Ive got is one image in Merril Lyndsays early book on Kentucky Rifles .
In this book we have a very similiar gun by John Young of Easton County Pennsylvania...
My halfstock showws a similar finial .....
Any ideas would be great to see .
TY D

Online jdm

• member 2
Re: attribution of this halfstock ....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 06:31:39 AM »
monro1066, That is a nice rifle you have. Generally to identify a rifle or put an attribution as to maker you need more than just one marker. A similar patch box alone is not enough. Architecture,style of trigger guard, ramrod pipes,carving and engraving are just some of the identifiers that need to be looked at. If you could post a few more pictures that would  be helpful  .Again it looks like a very nice rifle.  Jim
JIM

Offline monro1066

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 02:36:47 PM »
It’s not the stock architecture that I am used to seeing on Young rifles but a fine looking rifle. Anxious to hear what others suggest. More than just the lock making me think of the masters near Philadelphia. Great to see this surface.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 06:19:40 PM »
??? Jacob Kuntz was in Phild. and is known to have made half stock flint rifles. ???

Offline OLUT

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 07:40:23 PM »
The nice lock carries the name of the Philadelphia gunsmith Peter Peloux (various spellings). I am unfamiliar with his work, so I don't know if he fabricated the entire gun.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 08:15:13 PM »
Years ago I had a fine, well decorated civilian rifle by Henry Deringer that somehow reminds me of this rifle.

Shelby Gallien

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 08:52:44 PM »
Obviously made BY someone who knew what they were doing for someone who KNEW what he wanted.I wish these articles would show the mechanism in the locks.The parts that make it a lock ARE inside the plate and not the cosmetics on the outside.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 05:34:14 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 11:26:05 PM »
Definitely a Delaware river rifle, Philly up to Easton.  Might be one of the later Young family (I don't think it's one of the Johns but it could be a later Henry Young), or Derringer as mentioned, or even further south and associated with Kuntz.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 12:13:43 AM »
I don't think it's John Young or Henry Young  . It could be Peter Young he was a little later with a different style than John or Henry. The Kuntz brothers had nice engraving like this rifle. They often used that type of patch box release in the toe plate. I've seen the button  made out of horn and mahogany .
JIM

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 03:18:11 AM »
The nice lock carries the name of the Philadelphia gunsmith Peter Peloux (various spellings). I am unfamiliar with his work, so I don't know if he fabricated the entire gun.

We covered Peloux back in June.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=77055.msg763907#msg763907
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline monro1066

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 05:33:00 AM »

We covered Peloux back in June.

Hi Westbury ......apologies for seemingly treading a path twice .....but......only after recently seeing the Young rifle 2 days ago featured   in the Merril Lyndsay book did it make me wonder about the maker of the  halfstock ........
...the question therefore  arises was Peloux (associated with Kuntz/Youngs etc ) or  (Peloux ) the Lock  maker only for this rifle as the Patchbox appears considerably like Youngs/ or Kuntz...my own opinion is that the engraving although very good
isnt up to Kuntz 's  standard .

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=77055.msg763907#msg763907