Author Topic: Johannes Neff Rifles  (Read 1571 times)

Offline dweber49

• Starting Member
Johannes Neff Rifles
« on: July 29, 2023, 05:33:42 AM »
I have to believe there are other Neff rifles out there.  This is too evolved to be a one off.  I would be interested in learning of other Kutztown rifles similar to this, whether signed or not.  There are some Jacob Angstadts that approach this folk art level, but no others like this one that I can find in the literature I have.

Offline DaveM

Re: Johannes Neff Rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 05:22:50 AM »
Dweber49 - From my view, the most unique and iconic folk art rifles that I have ever seen came out of Kutztown and nearby Rockland Township. All of the other gunmaking “schools” seemed to follow a more formalized craft and style, with decoration much more like furniture decoration of the period.

If I recall, the only gunmakers in downtown Kutztown before 1815 or so included Neff, who was an early maker, Adam Angstadt (the “elder”), and Adam’s son Joseph Angstadt. Neff would have been a contemporary of Adam Angstadt. Joseph Angstadt was noted in Neff’s estate documents, so they likely knew each other - and perhaps the three men worked together. In addition to being a gunmaker, I believe that Neff was a stone mason also. Some of those guys did other work in the winter months like gunmaking.

I am sure that you are correct, that other rifles by Neff exist. Neff must have made rifles from an early period. Some of his earlier pieces may be indistinguishable from some of the early Angstadt pieces. I would need to dig out my notes, to be sure but I believe Neff’s estate documents in 1810 also mentioned a pistol.

There seemed to be a time, probably 1790 or before, when the Angstadt’s and Neff must have transitioned into this high level of folk art. Or perhaps their early gun styles were just as wild. Guns from that vicinity, with that folk art style are fantastic and deserve alot more study. Hope that helps but I did not really answer your question.

Offline dweber49

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 06:33:28 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply.  Very informative.  Please don’t hesitate to post again if you come across more info.

Offline dweber49

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 05:48:59 AM »
I sometimes wonder if the Neff rifle was made by an Angstadt.  Johannes Neff was the owner, rather than the maker.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »
I would certainly consider the chance that Neff, being related to Angstadt, had a rifle made by them with his name on it. I’ve seen examples of that practice. Especially if no other signed Neff rifles exist.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »
Aside from being VERY funky, and some of the furnishings, I don't find it to relate to any of the known Angstadt work.  The stock work in particular is much more crude and unrefined, as is the decorative 'carving' (or more accurately termed, "gouging" in this case).
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!