Author Topic: Moravian Smooth Bore  (Read 5618 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Moravian Smooth Bore
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
This is one of a group of 50 guns exhibited in a Hunting Museum in Usov CZ. I wasn't able to do much with the glass and poor light.
It does allow one to  examine the typical Czech approach to carving. Note the tasteful transition of incised to relief layering.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:56:08 AM by Ron Scott »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Moravian Smooth Bore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »
It's a beautiful gun Ron and the photography is fine...shows what we need to see.  I see also that that frizzen has never had a flint strike it!
Studies such as this are invaluable.  Thanks for taking the time to share it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:11:08 PM »
Yes, it is beautiful, and the carving looks to be done with a veiner...not stabbed-in.
Tom C.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:12:54 AM »
How about that thumb plate ? So much for inletting, looks like it was just tacked on to the wrist. Might have to be careful you dont cut your thumb on it ! Thanks a lot for posting, I'm sure its a beauty even if we only get a glimpse.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:55:27 AM »
It belatedly occured to me that this maybe should have been posted in the Gun Making section?

There was so much to try to see in the compacted display of guns, that it was a few minutes before I realized that every one was a smooth bore.  The presence of cheek pieces and wooden trigger guards on many tricked my into assuming it was a group of Rifles. A check for rear sights (lack of) confirmed that they were designed this way, not bored out.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »
My Friend Jim Gable did some research on the Maker of this Gun.  This was one of a set of nine numbered guns in this collection.

"Ron! Sorry for the massive delay, but here is what I found about Franz Adam.  He was born in Feltzburg (Valitice) Chez Republic, Zisterdorf Nieder Austria late 17th. century. Franz Adam apprenticed in Vienna 1808, he worked as a master in1820 near Zisterdorf. He was also gunmaker to the Prince of Liechenstein"

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:05:39 AM »
Great pictures.
Any photos of original guns is appreciated.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »
Thanks,Ron, for posting these pics.

Note how little wood is next to the tang at the breech! Wow, a sliver. Builders take note.

Taylor, you comment on no frizzen strike, yet I note how worn the wood is. Either the frizzen was refinished after much use, or this gun got handled a lot without firing at all.

The carving is really nicely done, and the subtle change from relief to incised is much appreciated, Ron.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »
This has got my curiosity up regarding wood trigger guards. Any suggestions where to go to have a look at more?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West