Author Topic: Trying to Compile info on a 1809 Potsdam I've Aquired  (Read 640 times)

Offline lucassitterly

• Starting Member
Trying to Compile info on a 1809 Potsdam I've Aquired
« on: September 12, 2023, 02:08:31 PM »
I recently was given an old musket to research, which I've decided to purchase from the owner. And I've found out some information, but still trying to track down more. It appears to be an model 1809 Potsdam, originally dated 1825 (although that date is stuck out). It appears to have been converted to percussion. Trying to track down if it was in fact used in the Civil War as I know many were imported from Germany for it, and also see if anyone knows what any of the markings mean. I'm assuming the stock markings are where they were assigned in Germany prior to being sold to the US. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Bill Weedman

Re: Trying to Compile info on a 1809 Potsdam I've Aquired
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 02:49:49 PM »
I believe that there is a new book on Potsdam’s. You should inquire on the N-SSA forum.

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 09:56:16 PM »
On the buttplate tang, the "32" is a regimental number, the "L" almost certainly stands for Landwehr, and the "R" would be Regiment.  The "W" I'm not familiar with but my knowledge of Imperial German military markings comes from my prior collecting days of WWI-era German field gear.  You'll notice the "W" is in sort of an italicized form which could be quite informative.  For example, during WWI, there was a regular army 120th Infantry Regiment out of Stuttgart that marked their gear with an "R.120".  The 120th Reserve Infantry Regiment (my uncle Hans' unit) would have been RIR120 sometimes with the "RIR" being italicized, or just an italicized R.  However, Imperial German equipment/weapons marking could be somewhat creative and did not not always adhere to the standards (shocking, eh?).  As for the Landwehr, they were the third-tier units.  You had your regular army units, then then reservists, and then the Landwehr who aged out of both the regular army and the reservists and basically stood guard at sausage factories, or schnapps distilleries and the like.  Reserve units, however, being considered somewhat expendable, saw tremendous action during WWI and took stunning losses in places like Verdun, the Somme, Flanders, Russia, Poland, etc.  The 6C on the buttplate...no idea.  That might just be a rack number.  The "64"...perhaps an assembly number since I see it in at least two places? 

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 03:31:11 AM »
This book

https://gunandswordcollector.com/product/european-arms-civil-war/

The authors are both Germans and most of the research was done in Europe.