Author Topic: Bucks/Lehigh fowler  (Read 664 times)

Offline wabeek

Bucks/Lehigh fowler
« on: September 22, 2023, 04:04:42 PM »
  This fowler was found recently at auction and went for the grand sum of $700 plus 6% sales tax (seller pays the auction house).  It's unadorned, no carving or elaborate engraving.  The lock and side plate have unusual gaps most likely from sloppy trial and error fitting in the process of hand filing the foreword lock bolt creating a swale which allows the old but unlikely original ramrod and it's worm to fit.  The ramrod is quite snug with the forward thimble.  The rear bolt, clearly a replacement, is functional.
   Corrosion at the breech is minimal but still more than the lock plate.  The frissen is resoled but but the finish is good throuout.⁶⁷
   At the front of the trigger guard bow you will note the small nub, possibly a later vestige of the usual Bucks nub but just as likely in keeping with the elegant streamling of a plain fowler.  The nose cap is open ended in Bucks style.  A dimple is placed at the rear of both the lock and side  plate, I belive as a successor to the traditional teardrops.
    The lock plate is marked,"G. SMALL &  SONS",  "WARRANTED".  No idea who, where or when...American or import?   No markings inside the lock nor under the barrel.  Top barrel flat shows some thinner finish where likely an effort was made to reveal a signature.  I've run some chalk on it.   Does any of it look familiar?
   The butt plate with one step tapering heel tang, trigger guard and tapering back thimble are consistent and nice.
    I would like the benefit of your thoughts, particularly it's age. 
    Special thanks to Tim Crosby for helping me remember how to upload photos.
Richard (Wabeek)

image upload

image hosting

Online DaveM

Re: Bucks/Lehigh fowler
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 07:38:58 PM »
My guess based on the signature would be Jacob Doll who worked in York Pa. In the early 19th century.

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 08:34:53 PM »
I don't see anything Bucks or NH about it.  And the nosecap is not open-ended, there's just a big gap there.  That is not a typical open-ended or 'wrap' nosecap of the region.  Also that sideplate at the least looks like a replacement, unless the photos are waaaaaaay off, as the gaps there are absolutely huge.

It's a cool piece but I'd tend to agree with Dave on the signature and probably location of manufacture because I just don;t see anything regional about it.  Awesome price.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline wabeek

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 11:28:53 PM »
EXCELLENT info..  Dave & Eric, Jacob Doll, York...great!   Eric,  now I know why it doesn't look like Bucks architecture...it isn't!  The "nub" is just a nub and the nose cap shows some wood  but lots of empty space (missing front barrel keeper?).
Great site, Great teachers.  Thanks!!!