Author Topic: Lock tuning and repair  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Scotts180

• Starting Member
Lock tuning and repair
« on: September 26, 2023, 08:43:30 PM »
Hi All
  I have a flintlock rifle that I built back in 1970.  My favorite hunting rifle!  The lock is in desperate need of a tuneup/repair.  Any recommendations of someone who can do this kind of work?

Thank you,
Scott

Online Hungry Horse

Re: Lock tuning and repair
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 08:54:19 PM »
 What kind of lock? From that long ago parts may not be available.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 09:00:39 PM »
If possible post a picture of the inside and the outside of the lock.It might be one I made over 50 years ago and it will have my last name
under the mainspring.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 09:16:01 PM »
Cabin Creek.
Andover, Vermont

Offline recurve

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 09:56:32 PM »
Call Brad at cabin creek          https://cabincreek.net/location/

Offline Scotts180

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2023, 06:22:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry.  Brad at Cabin Creek has had my lock for almost three months.  I guess he is very backed up so I was trying to find someone who could do the job.  Ive used my flintlock for hunting  for the last 50+ years and am running out of time for this season in New Hampshire.

Thanks again,
Scott

Offline Scotts180

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 06:29:59 PM »
What kind of lock? From that long ago parts may not be available.

Hungry Horse

Its a lock from Dixie Gun Works from back in the late 60’s.  I did contact Dixie and, like you said, parts are no longer available for that lock.  They said it was Belgium made.

Offline Scotts180

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 06:39:24 PM »
If possible post a picture of the inside and the outside of the lock.It might be one I made over 50 years ago and it will have my last name
under the mainspring.
Bob Roller
[/quote

Hi Bob
Here are a few photos.  It’s a Dixie Gun Works lock from the 60’s.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 07:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.I remember seeing these when I worked for DGW in the very HOT summer of 1958.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 09:38:44 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.I remember seeing these when I worked for DGW in the very HOT summer of 1958.
Bob Roller

Once upon a time I did a modification on one of these and it was an improvement.I removed the hammer screw and the hammer.and
found the diameter of that screw hole BEFORE it was threaded and then using that hole I cross drilled it all the way thru the bridle and
then made a screw with the threads under the head and a smooth shank to create a tumbler support bearing shaft.Using the larger size
of the tumbler shank thru the plate is a bad idea and once the modification was made and a drop of oil applied it felt like a different lock.
This was done for a local man and the lock was still assembled when this was done along with a rehardened frizzen.
Bob Roller

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 06:51:26 PM »
 This is a Dixie F1 flintlock made in Belgium. It’s all milled steel, not cast. Unfortunately it’s not a high grade steel and tends to wear rapidly. Since I’ve worked on a bunch of these lock I can tell you they are not all made from the same steel and respond to hardening processes differently. The one exception is the frizzen which is good high grade steel, in fact my current hunting gun has one of these frizzens adapted to it, and shoots fine. Good luck.

Hungry Horse