Author Topic: Unusual bridle on a original British Ordnance type lock  (Read 505 times)

Offline Mattox Forge

Unusual bridle on a original British Ordnance type lock
« on: October 05, 2023, 04:43:51 PM »
I would like to know if anyone has observed a similar bridle on an Egg lock, or on any British Ordnance lock, particularly a Baker volunteer rifle. I recently acquired this lock in a Poulins auction.

This is an extremely well made lock with very heavy springs. It is an infantry rifle pattern type lock with much heavier sections than pistol locks of the same size. It is very similar to the Rifle Shoppe Baker rifle locks I have. None of the angles on the bridle are true 90 degree angles.

I do not think that the bridle is a recent replacement. The lock has been altered when it was fitted to the cobbled up gun I bought it on, but other than being annealed and having an extra side nail hole added, it matches and is appears to be an intact original.  The bench fitting numbers match as do the quality of fit and finish of all the parts.

Mike

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Unusual bridle on a original British Ordnance type lock
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 05:58:33 PM »
Replacement or original? Any way to know?
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: Unusual bridle on a original British Ordnance type lock
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 10:50:18 PM »
I can't really tell if it is a replacement. The bridle has the bench fitting marks that look exactly like the ones on the frizzen and the lock. I would have just written it off as a replacement but for that small pair of file marks. I don't know why anyone fitting a replacement to the lock would have bothered to put the marks on. Fit and finish look similar to the other parts, but a well made 60 year old part won't look that different than a well made 210 year old part. If a replacement, why shape it so oddly? I could see it someone wanted to machine it out, but the angles aren't square, so it was files, and well filed at that.

I guess it fit's into the who knows curiosity category.

I am going to use the lock on a rifle that I build up, so it will probably be replaced anyhow.

Mike