Author Topic: Peep sight on original Hawken Rifles  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Monty59

Peep sight on original Hawken Rifles
« on: October 14, 2023, 10:54:54 AM »
Hello, my question here would be to the experts who are familiar with the Hawken rifle, how common was a peep sight ( diopter )  on original Hawken rifles ? I know that many people build a peep sight (diopter ) on a replica of a Hawken or Plains rifle. I have also seen a lot of original Hawken here in the forum from private owners or museums. But I don't think I've seen any with a peep sight or diopter so far. Wasn't it common to have something like that on a weapon like that back then?

Monty

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Peep sight on original Hawken Rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 03:26:09 PM »
There were some made that way but I would not call them Common. Jim Gordon has two or three in his collection in Glorieta, NM.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 05:46:06 PM »
I suspect any with diopters were after market add ons.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 06:52:23 PM »
There's this one with a bag-pistol grip.

Then the one similar that Taylor built for the client in Alaska. The staff's threads are 80 TPI, tap and die courtesy of our own Mr. Robert Roller.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 07:27:37 PM »
The English had been putting them on rifles in the early 1800's. This rifle was made in London around 1800. The sights were probably added not too long afterwards, certainly within the original period of use of the rifle. I am sure the idea was around over here in the US at the same time, or shortly there after.

The rear sight is apparently the second one that was installed as there is a filled in hole further back on the wrist. I suspect that these were for target shooting and not for field use. The rear sight doesn't fold, and would be difficult to adjust in a field situation. They would also be prone to snagging and being damaged.

Mike

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 07:42:56 PM »
I have seen images of three Hawken rifles with tang sights.  I would class them as rare, on Hawken made rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 03:56:49 AM »
That old one looks like the hammer was not aligned right when it was new.I would not want to fire it and would like to see a shot from it at night.That 1/4x80 tap and die came from a local gun maker,Bob Wyant who passed away suddenly and I was going to make him a sight using it.His widow said to keep it and when the time came during Taylor's making a replica of the bag grip Hawken I gave it to him and it's
where it belongs for ever.
Bob Roller

Offline Herb

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 07:53:45 PM »
Years  ago I saw an original Hawken rifle in a glass case in the Museum of Westward Expansion (I think it is called), near the arch in St. Louis.  It had a buckhorn sight with an insert soldered between the horns.  It looked about like a 1/4" flat washer.  I took a photo of it, which I cannot find.
Herb

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 02:40:00 AM »
The only Hawken rifles that I can recall with peep sights that I feel are original are the three pistol grip Hawken target rifles that  Jim Gordon owns two of these rifles and the third one is in the Cody Museum. Jim Gordon also has another Hawken rifle with a peep sight  that appears to be made by a blacksmith . This rifle also has an unusual trigger guard which looks to be original but not the typical scroll guard.

Offline Monty59

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2023, 09:45:54 AM »
Hey guys many thanks for all your answers and assessments !

Monty

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 06:03:30 PM »
I found this interesting.

Its in “The Great Guns” by Petersen and Elman

Tang sights are notoriously fragile and even on hunting rifles that are documented to have been shipped with them (as in Sharps of the late 19th c) few have them now.  In one of my tool boxes I have one I built for my Don King flint Hawken and with silver blade from sight I shot 5 shots into <6” group at 200 with a lawn chair and pickup tailgate rest. But ANY wind I could feel would blow the group out downwind. So it was early just after daylight shooting. When the breeze came up it was pack up and go home.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine